Anyone DIY a stereo for a UTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone DIY a stereo for a UTV?

I’ve got an old alpine stereo and a few door panel speakers laying around from a truck I sold. Everything is still in good condition and for some reason I’ve kept it all just sitting in a box. Was thinking about using it in my Mule. I know it’s not waterproof but I figured maybe I could make a box of some sort for the speakers and mount the radio in the dash or inside the glove box where it could be kept dry.

Thoughts? Would I need an extra battery if I’m not running an amp?

While using it for work last week I was really wishing I had a stereo for some tunes.

We went a slightly different route. We just mounted a Boss Audio sound bar to the roll bar in our Mule. It's great having tunes...

So far, we haven't needed another battery, but we only listen to music when the engine is running.

Comment

I've done a few...

Mounted the head unit in the glove box on both. Used bed lined speaker enclosures on the roll bar and tried to water proof everything as best as I could. They are both working just fine several years and lots of abuse later. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
        I've done a few...

Mounted the head unit in the glove box on both. Used bed lined speaker enclosures on the roll bar and tried to water proof everything as best as I could. They are both working just fine several years and lots of abuse later. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Good to hear. I suppose my biggest issue is the head unit wires. The obvious needs connecting like ground, power, antenna and speaker wires but beyond that I don’t know what HAS to be connected and what can be taped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Super easy, red goes to battery, yellow to power when the key is on and black to ground. If u want it to play with the key off, then twist the red and yellow together and hook them both to the battery. Just make sure u turn the head unit off when not using it. Speaker wires are simple, positive wire to positive on speaker and negative to negative. Very easy to hook up

Comment

You could also do like some jeep guys and mount it in an ammo can. Weather proof when not in use, or even use quick connects and take it out if your mule is at the lease for a long time.

Comment

Got it. Y’all are great! Maybe I’ll post some pictures when I’m done. I’ll try and work on it this weekend.

Comment

Bluetooth to your phone and play anything from your Pandora, Spotify, or downloaded music. Move around from the UTV, to camp, to the fire, etc. Then sync the iPad to it while watching TV.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBlazer72 View Post
                  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-fli...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bluetooth to your phone and play anything from your Pandora, Spotify, or downloaded music. Move around from the UTV, to camp, to the fire, etc. Then sync the iPad to it while watching TV.

We were doing that but the issue is I don’t always have reception where I’m working. So I want to be able to play a cd or radio waves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No, but I want to. Speaker systems for these things are PRICEY!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      No, but I want to. Speaker systems for these things are PRICEY!

No joke. And hey, I have a radio and speakers sitting around so why not just build one? If it gets wet and short circuits then I’ll upgrade to a “marine” radio. I did just find a whole setup on Craigslist for $300. Box, radio and four speakers. I was tempted but remembered......why buy something when you have a perfectly good radio not being used in your garage? I did go on amazon and get an antenna, set of marine speakers (cheaper than getting the material to build a box) and a mount. Cost me $52

Comment

Another option is build the radio and speakers all into one box. Like a river cooler or even tool box. Then you can plug it into the cigarette lighter and move to another mule if needed.

Comment

I just got a JBL extreme 2 Bluetooth speaker. I think it going to work just fine for ours. Good luck with your build. Wood shelf across the top might work as well as other ideas above.

Comment

Alright. I’ve got it all hooked up and running. It’s great! My only complaint is the head unit text can’t be read from the seat but my glove box was too small so the roof was the only place to stick it. You have to sit up in the seat to see what’s on the radio face but that’s not a huge deal. Has an adapter for plugging your phone directly into the radio.

Comment

That looks great did you buy that stereo mount or make it? Do you have a link to what you bought on amazon? Wow that is nice. I to have a stereo and speakers in the garage that need to be used. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X