No announcement yet.

If you buy a gun at Academy, fill out your paper work very carefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have sold guns for 4 different retailers. I got in the habit of pointing out the questions most people accidentally skipped such as the ethnicity and illegal alien while handing them the form. I also would tell them to take their time and read the questions, and if they had any questions regarding the form I could clarify the question but not give them the answers. Some folks might not fill out many 4473's or perhaps it might even be their first gun purchase. I want them to have as pleasant of an experience as possible, because gun owners typically are pro 2A and we need all of those we can get

Comment

Not exactly the same, but when Field & Stream opened in Katy, they had grand opening deals on the Benelli Super Sport...and I couldn't resist.

I was filling out the e-form with my sons standing next to me. My youngest boy was as excited as I was and he asked me a question about the 20 ga.

Before I could answer, a Munchkin with the Lollipop Guild came around the counter and gave us a stern scolding for talking during the test.

This posed a dilemma...Should I throat punch this little man who was clearly deserving of an attitude adjustment? Or do I bite my tongue and lock up a Super Sport for $1,600?

My tongued healed up nicely and we love that 20 ga.

Comment

I still side with Academy on this. It's a liability issue.

Imagine the headlines if this person bought a gun and killed someone with it.

"Academy sells gun to illegal alien. 3 dead 2 injured"

It's not worth it for the $20 they make on the firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
          That may be a company policy, but there is no law against it. I've had to correct a 4473 myself, because I abbreviated something that had to be spelled out fully.
          That change did not qualify for a denial of the sale. If a sale must be denied, they are not allowed to discuss the details. Not all parts of the form are the same. Some parts are "qualifiers" for a legal sale, others are not. The "qualifiers" are what determines if the sale is approved or denied prior to the background check for final approval. Those cannot be changed once the form is signed. Others areas, like a misspelled address or a state abbreviation (since they don't disqualify the applicant) can be changed. I don't think it is a law, but not discussing the denial is a rule for the document. It might be stated in the fine print in the back of the form.

Comment

Good gosh...please explain to me how there be a denial or approval by NICS when the 4473 is rejected by Academy because of a mistake and not even called in for the FBI databases to look him up??

I really don't think you understand how the process works. If they had called it in & he was denied, this would be the better option as you just identified a felon.

The gentleman in question was a resident alien & he supplied his US based Alien or admission number on the 4473 & RECEIVED his gun from another dealer. You are creating a situation where it cannot happen in this scenario.

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
            I still side with Academy on this. It's a liability issue.

Imagine the headlines if this person bought a gun and killed someone with it.

"Academy sells gun to illegal alien. 3 dead 2 injured"

It's not worth it for the $20 they make on the firearm.
            Last edited by Artos; 02-04-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Good gosh...please explain to me how there be a denial or approval by NICS when the 4473 is rejected by Academy because of a mistake and not even called in for the FBI databases to look him up??

I really don't think you understand how the process works. If they had called it in & he was denied, this would be the better option as you just identified a felon.

The gentleman in question was a resident alien & he supplied his US based Alien or admission number on the 4473 & RECEIVED his gun from another dealer. You are creating a situation where it cannot happen in this scenario.
              So I'm asking this as a legitimate question. You're saying the Feds would have no problem with Academy staff pointing to the form and telling the guy he filled out a wrong answer and to fix it before submitting it?

Comment

I’ll bring the torches if y’all bring the pitchforks!!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                  I’ll bring the torches if y’all bring the pitchforks!!
                  If I bring some giant marshmallows we're gonna have a party!

Comment

In college I accidentally put my new apartment address that did not match my DL number (my moms house) and they told me I needed to change it to what was on my DL.
                    Changed it and walked out with a gun that day

Comment

Read my other posts...I have dozens of 4473's where customers marked 12.d.2 wrong & I hand them back & re-read the question. Per ATF, any mistake can be corrected by lining through once (so they can still read) initial & correct. They have been seen & inspected / discussed, with inspecting agents during audits. I make corrections when I audit my 4473's & A&D book Twice per year. I swore on my last audit in August, I would be 100%, but I forgot to check box 21 which is no nics required because of LTC. The info was there but the box should be checked. It's trivial, no different than missing 12.d.2 & correcting as it has no bearing on public safety or traceability concerns.

FFL's cannot instruct you on how to answer...giving it back & having them evaluate their work is fine. Most of my transfers use ltc. How could I or Academy deny them a transfer when they have already had such an extensive background check??

FWIW, my last IA was a manager & had just come from Glock where tens of thousands of guns were in process from creating S/N's to various points of mfg & shipping & yes, they had some mistakes. He mentioned the worst offenders are THE BIG BOX STORES, so Academy for sure gets dinked on every audit with so many hands on the books. Should They should barred from selling firearms for 30 days??

Comment

How does Academy line out and initial an electronic form on their tablet? Might be the system that puts a stop to it, local employee may not have that option. I don't necessarily blame them as we all know sometimes you can have untrained employees working the firearms counter, etc.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 02-04-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

So, now he's an illegal alien? How did you weave that into this. All that I said is that he deserved to know what answer disqualified him. News flash, he did find the gun elsewhere, and purchased it legally. There are a whole lot of people on this thread with an axe to grind.
                          Actually, no. That was an example I made because citizenship and criminal record are the main questions I recall in the form. Was not fully aware of your friends citizenship status I just re-read your OP and other comments.

I still stand by my direction though, it’s not up to the desk clerk at academy to point out flaws in the form written by anyone. There is a line at the bottom that you sign stating all information is correct, once you sign it any information should be taken as correct.

Once the fail is given, it’s not their responsibility to point out the flaw either because that shows that person how to pass it going somewhere else. Not a perfect system but it’s better than what the democrats want to give us.

Originally posted by LMiz View Post
                          In college I accidentally put my new apartment address that did not match my DL number (my moms house) and they told me I needed to change it to what was on my DL.
                          Changed it and walked out with a gun that day
                          I did the same thing and was denied a pistol that was mismarked at GAnder mountian about 40% below list. The manager came over and said your DL address doesn’t match what you put here, guess it’s not your lucky day after all as he took the pistol and the price sign in the back to correct it. I’m sure if the pistol had been marked the right price then they would’ve just let me correct it. All I could do was smile and go home, was My mistake on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            How does Academy line out and initial an electronic form on their tablet? Might be the system that puts a stop to it, local employee may not have that option. I don't necessarily blame them as we all know sometimes you can have untrained employees working the firearms counter, etc.
                            I'm old school & unfamiliar with eforms...don't you still have to fill out an actual hard copy & sign a 4473 & THEN it gets entered into the e-system for approval by the ffl from NICS?? Really doesn't matter, Even if it is on a tablet I would hand it back to the customer to review and even start over to correct before pressing enter?? Why is it so hard for one to accept a mistake could be fixed with the example given??

I don't blame anyone on the floor either & just think their policy is stupid & don't know of any other big box store that keeps a 30 day no buy list. That is total bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              I'm old school & unfamiliar with eforms...don't you still have to fill out an actual hard copy & sign a 4473 & THEN it gets entered into the e-system for approval by the ffl from NICS?? Really doesn't matter, Even if it is on a tablet I would hand it back to the customer to review and even start over to correct before pressing enter?? Why is it so hard for one to accept a mistake could be fixed with the example given??

I don't blame anyone on the floor either & just think their policy is stupid & don't know of any other big box store that keeps a 30 day no buy list. That is total bs.
                              You complete the 4473 on the tablet and before you can finish it makes you review your answers.

Walmart uses eforms as well. They're printed out and then reviewed by the employee.

Comment

A friend when to Academy to purchase a pistol, he filled out the 4473 and all of their forms, then was informed that he had answered a question wrong and would not be sold the gun that day. Mind you, they never called in the NICS, because he's a CCW holder. They wouldn't show him what he did wrong either. He's bought several guns in the past with no issue. A week later, he tried to buy the same gun at a different Academy, and they told him that Academy had placed him on a 30 day hold from buying any gun there. Now keep in mind, this had nothing to do with any gun law, it is apparently some kind of policy with Academy. Most gun stores will ask you if you are sure about your answers on the 4473 if they see an issue. Academy does not, they just ban you for 30 days.
                                I saw this as a heads up. Thanks for letting me know. Haters gonna hate.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X