San Luis Pass fishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duane View Post
    Just FYI, the other side of the pass is also an island!

You can drive or park/walk into a few areas along Christmas and Drum Bay to wade, but if it's going to be that windy there may not be much good water to wade. You might wanna just take some bait, a cooler of beer and a lawn chair and find a friendly place to fish under a cork. Maybe the wind will keep the mosquitoes off of you. Good luck!

Learn something new every day.

Comment

Fish the guts on the Galveston side. You'll be somewhat protected from the wind there. I've got to fish a kayak tourney in Galveston on Saturday in 20-30 MPH winds. Not gonna be easy.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you're planning on doing this, but also be VERY wary of driving onto the sand on the bay-side of the Galveston side of the pass. My Explorer got stuck trying to reach the beach, and an F-250 got stuck trying to pull me out. A Hummer had to get both of us out. Had seen others stuck there, but I didn't think it would happen to me.

As said above, I wouldn't wade into the pass above the knees...the dips, wind, and currents make it very dangerous.

Floating a few corks and sitting in a lawn chair sound like your best bet at the pass.

Comment

There are several condo divisions along the south shoreline adjacent to the pass that you can park in and walk less than 200’ to the water. Easy enough access if you aren’t comfortable negotiating the sand roads north of the toll bridge. Although, I’ve never had an issue doing that, I’ve never even needed 4wd to get to the water....just a little common sense and looking before I jumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know it’s been said, but stay out of SLP, those tides change quickly and are very swift.

The surf is going to be rough, but bay side should be decent. Sportsman’s road is decent, I’ve pulled several good reds from there. There is also Galveston state park that is decent to wade around some flats

Comment

Well we got home yesterday. Wind was horrific the entire trip with the exception of about 1 hour on Monday evening. Did a little fishing here and there and caught a few fish but didn't fish much. I'm not as mad at them as I used to be. We had a guide trip booked for monday through a fellow tbh'er and he called us Sunday and said he didn't recommend trying it so we cancelled and he was kind enough to refund our trip cost. I sure was glad he did...WOW did the wind blow Monday. Anyway, we got sunburned and sand in our crevices so I guess it was a successful trip.

Comment

Any recommendations on a good guide near San Luis Pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post

Capt. Greg Francis fishes that area a lot.

Comment

Randall Groves

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      Randall Groves
                      Personal experience? I've seen his name a lot.

Comment

Personal experience? I've seen his name a lot.
                        I don't use guides but I know those in my area who consistently produce. I've know his brother for years. Them boys can fish.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X