Opinions of 300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
    Junk unless you just want to shoot paper and steel with subs and a suppressor for fun. They’re entertaining for that purpose, but if I’ll just shoot a suppressed .22 if I want to plink with something quiet. I had one for a solid week before I got rid of it.

Way better options out there for a killing cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junk it is not, at least in my personal experience and probably close to 100 dead animals including a 12 point killed with subs.

As to the second part of your statement, while true, there’s a plethora of mainstream cartridges that the same can be said for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I've found zero uses for it. I shot a small boar hog twice in the head, 1.5" below the ear, and he was still trying to bite me when I got to him. That is not acceptable to me.

Aside from being quiet, there's nothing it's as good at as the Grendel, or the 6.8.
        slaughter houses kill 2000lbs animals with 22 short. and you can't manage to kill a small hog by shooting it twice in the head with 1377 ft/lbs of energy and it's the cartridge's fault ??? ah... ok!

Comment

I have a Honey Badger with a Trijicon Reap IR thermal and absolutely love it for a hog gun. Gun, suppressor and scope together weigh right at 7 pounds. Have several other hog guns and still always go back to the 300.

Comment

Supersonic, it's just an expensive 7.62x39 or 30-30. Subsonic, I've been disappointed with the results.

Comment

I love mine.

Comment

I love mine as well, every animal that has been shot at is dead. I’m shooting the 110 grain Barnes, 1 shot kills every time and that is the same for my kids. They both got their first bucks this year as well with the gun. I understand the trash talk but it’s just a flat out fun gun to shoot and has plenty to kill

Comment

I'm more on the 7.63 x 39. My 300BO would kill, just got tired of chasing ammo and liquidated my barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                    slaughter houses kill 2000lbs animals with 22 short. and you can't manage to kill a small hog by shooting it twice in the head with 1377 ft/lbs of energy and it's the cartridge's fault ??? ah... ok!
                    Cannot be taken seriously with such stupid analogies.

I shot the hog twice in the head where I always shoot hogs, and the cartridge failed to kill the hog in a timely manner. I don't honestly remember what bullets they were because it wasn't my rifle, but they were a factory hunting bullet of some kind. It doesn't really matter, we found a superior option.

I don't doubt the blackout is much more capable when loaded with some of the lighter rounds mentioned, but then it's not subsonic and therefore just a less effective option than others out there.

Comment

Mine is an Encore with a 16 inch Bergara barrel. And a folding stock. It is pretty handy, but not because of the caliber, because of it's compactness. And mine is accurate. The Bergara barrel and Sierra 110 grain hollowpoints often go less than an inch at 100. I've thought about having it rechambered to .308 or .30/30 AI, but kind of hate to fix what isn't really broke...I have killed three hogs with it, with behind-the-shoulder shots at 50-120 yards. I know it's limitations, and don't push it too far. I don't shoot mine suppressed, or subsonic..

Comment

Comment

Opinions of 300 Blackout

Once again, 5 dead deer to date. This the most important to date from Colorado Bend SP. if the shooter can shoot, it doesn’t matter what cartridge they’re using! This buck went 40 yards, heart was mush.... short LOP, 16” barrel, very little recoil. All plus side when starting a kid out. Then again, as mentioned previously, I like the shot inside 80 with this round. It may be niche, but it has served a purpose for us.

He’s not hunting with subs, that would be irresponsible on my behalf. But, it’s still about shot placement.
                          Last edited by Chad C; 04-16-2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

If not shooting subs then stick with X39.

Comment

I shoot subsonic out of mine. Shot a couple axis with it, no issues...dead deer.

It will be a good first gun for my grandson to shoot in a couple years. Quiet & low kick.

Just gotta know & be ok with it's limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDucks View Post
                                If not shooting subs then stick with X39.

Because 4mm makes a huge difference? [emoji849]

Comment

Working...
                                X