How About a Few Winter Deer Pictures ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How About a Few Winter Deer Pictures ??

All our bucks have shed so nothing real exciting. We have had snow cover since late December. Up to 2' from time to time. We are in a hard melt right now. It has been in the high 40s to low 50s the last few days. Iowa shorts weather.

I have been feeding corn, sweet feed and alfalfa since deer season ended January 10th. Our deer are looking real healthy despite several weeks of single digit temps, below zero temps, and heavy snow cover. We have two dense cedar bedding thickets that give them some protection from the cold and snow. They stay "yarded up" together this time of year. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-26-2021, 11:22 AM.

You have had snow cover since late December and still have electricity..........impossible, how can that be ???????????

Pretty cool being able to keep the deer around the house like that.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
      You have had snow cover since late December and still have electricity..........impossible, how can that be ???????????

Pretty cool being able to keep the deer around the house like that.
      Yep.....The demand on the power grid up here is just business as usual for this time of year. Propane furnaces, wood stoves, wood fired boilers, propane fired radiant in floor heating just does not put much strain on the power grid.

That feeding area is about 170 yards down behind the house.

Comment

Holy crap that looks cold! Keep posting.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
          Holy crap that looks cold! Keep posting.
          It was....but we are warming up. I am sure we will have more snow before April, but the next 10 days look pretty nice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice, we found mt lion tracks out in the meadows. Deer have been scarce at the ranch house this year.

Comment

You had twice as much snow in your part of Iowa then we had here in North central MN. Our deer herd had it made all winter and it's all down hill from here! Even if it gets cold and/or a bunch of snow, it never lasts long this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                You had twice as much snow in your part of Iowa then we had here in North central MN. Our deer herd had it made all winter and it's all down hill from here! Even if it gets cold and/or a bunch of snow, it never lasts long this time of year.
                We went to town Wednesday evening. We saw more deer out in fields than I have ever seen. The snow had just started melting and the deer were feasting on anything green in melted areas.

The ground right over my septic tanks always melts first. I guess from the heat produced by the septic tanks. The grass is green over the tanks. It was full of deer tracks right over the tanks.

Comment

From Dec on my place.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

January
                    Attached Files

Comment

From there first snow and just after the last one

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

“Deer in the Snow” pics to me are all good! Just something about those critters with all that white background that makes for a great pic. Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Oh nice! Love winter with snow.
                          Our coldest temp in ncks was -11 with a -29 windchill.
                          I pulled 2 cameras today. Had lots of bucks n doe pics (1958) just watching a scrape, A couple good ones..
                          Have several others i lost track of.. quit running cams
                          Havent spent any time shed hunting yet..gonna be hard to find time.. very busy with work. Thankfully!

Comment

Both of these survived the season
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Man, that is an awesome pic Garguy.. really really cool.!

Comment

Working...
                              X