No announcement yet.

food plot advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice. I use buck forage oats, chicory, and red clover in my cool season plots. Plants mature during different seasons so your deer get highly nutritious food from late October to late march early april

Comment

I went and checked up on it today while dove hunting, the okra has quite a few sprouts. The rye grass has one or two little spots were its growing. But not much has changed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the rye grass
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm watching the rain, and it's 0% the next ten days, I may not get my oats/clover in ground until week before season starts...

Comment

Don't waste your time unless you put a fence around it.

If the cattle don't get it the Hogs will ruin it.

Use hog-wire fence. You only need it to be about 2 1/2 of feet tall to keep everything but deer out.

Comment

Originally posted by pdevoto View Post
              Don't waste your time unless you put a fence around it.

If the cattle don't get it the Hogs will ruin it.

Use hog-wire fence. You only need it to be about 2 1/2 of feet tall to keep everything but deer out.
              The land owner said he would rather me not put up a fence

Comment

this past weekend i expanded it about 10ft wider and about 15 feet longer, ill post pics later. Today we got some rain, and were expecting a lot more tomorrow and saturday. And a couple of minutes ago i threw out about 3/4 of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by alec bailey View Post
                  this past weekend i expanded it about 10ft wider and about 15 feet longer, ill post pics later. Today we got some rain, and were expecting a lot more tomorrow and saturday. And a couple of minutes ago i threw out about 3/4 of the bag.
                  good luck. i took a chance and planted some today as well. it sounds like we will get enough rain tomorrow to germinate. hopefully we will get another good rain soon to keep it alive

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                    Round up is fine on soil. You want to kill the existing grass and weeds so they will not grow and choke out your seeds during September October. Red and white clover work well for no till before a good rain.
                    X2 on the Roundup. Once Roundup hits the ground, it bonds to the soil and will not be taken up by roots. For no-till applications, the sunlight needs to get to the ground. If there is a thick layer of grass/mulch, you will get limited (if any) germination.

Comment

Originally posted by catfishryan View Post
                      good luck. i took a chance and planted some today as well. it sounds like we will get enough rain tomorrow to germinate. hopefully we will get another good rain soon to keep it alive
                      X2on keeping them alive. Hope yours turns out good too.

Comment

I forgot to mention but I also put out a plot cam that is set to go off every 15min.

Comment

if i was you id just go plow up a small plot and throw oats out,
                          thats what zac221 and i do.

you will have way better luck with oats.

Comment

most of that throw and grow stuff isnt right for our texas soil.

Comment

If you have the equipment to shred the area down fairly low I would do that first or go ahead a disc it up. That away there will be less completion for the food plot against the native plants. I wouldn't waste my money on fertilizer until you know your going to get some growth out of it. Wait till you have it coming up and a rain in the forecast to fertilize.

Comment

you mentioned no fence but maybe try to talk owner into this below. I have the cow problem and hogs but this keeps them out. Just regular hog paneling and t-posts.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X