pinched nerve in neck/shoulder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pinched nerve in neck/shoulder...

Never dealt with this before, at least unknowingly.
    Flared up about 1 1/2 weeks ago, have not slept much since. Pain started in shoulder and spread down the backside of arm. Finally went to Chiropractor
    this week. 3 treatments and I think its somewhat worse now, and now fingers tingle.
    Doctor's plan is 24 treatments ... lol! Seems ridiculous to me, how am I supposed to deal with this 7 more weeks? Ibuprofen/Tylenol helps very little.
    Should I continue and is there relief of soreness/pain? Any experiences?

Careful here, if you start being waken by sharp pain especially burning (like someone touched you with a lit cigarette) drop the chiropractor and go see an Orthopedic Surgeon. Some chiropractor do not know enough to know when a problem is out of their hands - they are great at what the do but not so much if you have a larger herniation in your neck.

Comment

I went through this a year ago and it can be frustrating trying to get some relief. After four trips to the chiropractor he was able to get me pain free. I still have some tingling in my fingers periodically but I can live with it. Deep tissue massage also helped me. I had a lot of knots in the muscles in my shoulder blade area. Hopefully the chiropractor can get you back pain free going under the knife was going to be the last resort for me.

Comment

I dealt with a very similar problem years ago. Numerous tests and lots of drugs. Our insurance at work changed and I had to go to a different Orthopedic Surgeon. First thing he said, You're taking all these drugs? Sent me to physical therapy for three weeks and told me to pick a Neurosurgeon before I came back. Within about a month I was schedule for surgery. Removed a spur and repaired the disc between C5 & C6. I suffered for almost two years with this because of the first Doctor thinking that drugs would fix it. My left index finger and thumb are still some what numb because of nerve damage from the spur. Don't mess with it, get a good Doctor. I have had no pain or problems since the surgery. I was in the hospital for one night after the surgery.

Comment

Same deal here & went weeks before seeking help...I was warned it wasn't going to be a quick fix. My chiro told me 3-4 weeks before noticeable relief & 6-8 before complete & she was right on the $$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            Same deal here & went weeks before seeking help...I was warned it wasn't going to be a quick fix. My chiro told me 3-4 weeks before noticeable relief & 6-8 before complete & she was right on the $$$$.
            She knows what she is talking about. Evidence based medicine also reflects 6-8 weeks for resolution of symptoms unless true impingement without chiropractic care. :-)

To OP, see a doctor. . . one who went to medical school. They will likely prescribe an oral cortisone such as Medrol and that may get you straight within a week.

Comment

Same here. Seen family doc. Prescribed meds that did not work. Referred to a chiropractor. About killed me, then told me he can't help me. Had deep massages. No real help. Had physical therapy for weeks. Had the surgery and all is great. Good luck with your problem.

Comment

I had this problem a few years back. Chiropractor, etc. Finally went to Ortho doctor and wound up getting a 50% disability in my right arm. Thumb and for finger numb to this day. Good luck.

Comment

Dude, this is some of the worse pain I've ever felt. When it happened tome the first time, I couldn't breath. My wife had to help me walk up the 4 stairs to get in side. I couldn't take my own shirt off. I'm telling you, I've broken a lot of bones, but this was by far the worst. Occasionally, about once or twice per year I'll get a small flair up and it HURTS, but not like the original. My uncle who's a surgeon told me that if you ever pinch a nerve, it will never completely return to normal. So far he's been right.

Saw somebody in the ER with the same complaint...I gave them, Norflex, Toradol and Norco and that barely got them feeling functional.

Comment

Had a cervical fusion surgery for the same issues.... My left thumb was completely numb and the pain was from behind my left ear all the way down my arm...

Comment

I have nerve pain too. Left thumb numb, pain in right pinky. I lost most of my grip strength in both hands.

I bought one of those squeeze grip exercise things and that fixed my issues. The only bad part is the hand exercise flares my tennis elbow, but that's way better than nerve pain.

Comment

Good luck is all I am going to say.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          She knows what she is talking about. Evidence based medicine also reflects 6-8 weeks for resolution of symptoms unless true impingement without chiropractic care. :-)

To OP, see a doctor. . . one who went to medical school. They will likely prescribe an oral cortisone such as Medrol and that may get you straight within a week.
                          Oh, I had been suffering with that for 5-6 weeks before going to see her (stubborn)...I had numbness down my arm & knew my spine was a train wreck from football & also driving 300-400 miles a day didn't help my issues.

Say what you want but like doctors who went to medical school, there are good ones & bad ones. One of my best friends is regarded one of the finest cardio vascular surgeons in the country...the valley has more cardiologists per square mile than anywhere else & he says you can count the good ones on one hand.

A good chiropractor is a God send. Unfortunately, Dr. Miller passed away last week of a heart attack at the age of 43 & not only being a gifted bone cracker, she was a wonderful human being. She Helped my FIL who went to several others after a car wreck before finally getting relief & my wife's lower back issues. Not sure if we'll stay with the chap who is taking over the practice.
                          Last edited by Artos; 07-04-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

If you want to treat the symptoms go to a chiro, if you want to know what the true cause is then start with an ortho if you think it is a shoulder issue or a spine guy if you think it is your neck. There is a place for all of these but only an ortho/spine guy can get you to the exact problem and possible solutions. If it is your neck it sounds like surgery would be very unlikely but PT would solve it. Good luck. Im trying to deal with a really bad sciatic nerve problem right now. If it doesnt resolve it self soon from the steps Ive taken off to the spine guy I go next week.

Comment

Neck nerve deal going on now, been to see chiro and he put his finger right on the spot and did the adjustment. Worked for about a week and now it's back, two adj later and on again off again pain, going back Monday. Will be keeping up with this thread...

Comment

Working...
                              X