Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
    I'm going to throw this offer out there...should anyone here get a Nilgai on the ground and track it down, I will help pack that sucker out. I'm hunting the 12/7 draw.

I'm new here, so PM me if you're interested in exchanging information. Being a small part of a successful harvest is a rewarding memory for me.

Same offer from me. If anyone needs help packing out any animals on the 12/7 hunt I’ll be glad to help. My number one plan is to find the bucks, if I can get in on a nice buck I’ll be happy. But I’ll be shooting up to 70 yards until then in case I get a shot at a big bull. Luckily the range here in spring goes out to 76 yards and if nobody is there I can back up to 90[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      Same offer from me. If anyone needs help packing out any animals on the 12/7 hunt I’ll be glad to help. My number one plan is to find the bucks, if I can get in on a nice buck I’ll be happy. But I’ll be shooting up to 70 yards until then in case I get a shot at a big bull. Luckily the range here in spring goes out to 76 yards and if nobody is there I can back up to 90[emoji41]

Do you guys use WhatsApp? Perhaps we can get a group chat going.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Kidd View Post
        Do you guys use WhatsApp? Perhaps we can get a group chat going.

Yessir. Sure do.

Comment

I don’t use WhatsApp but if y’all get a group message fired up count me in

Comment

So I got drawn again for the Archery hunt Nov 16-20. I went last year and had some ups and downs. Stuck a cow and a bull. Cow i knew i barely hit bc she moved but i found the bull. Problem was he swam across a stream/river or whatever and died. Unfortunately the buzzards found him before i could. He ran for about a mile. I’ve never seen so many buzzards on an animal that quick. I had another 2 more within range but couldn’t get a clean shot off. I packed light and was mobile on my bike. I used a backpacking chair with camo shirt over it and just used the bike to get to an area to hunt. Find water, trails or large fresh dung piles. If the hunters don’t mess up their routine too much they will definitely come to the same dung pile.

Large dung pile that i saw multiple bulls using. For some reason i didn’t hunt it until the last morning and that was the one day they didn’t come.

Comment

So my 66 yr old dad drew a tag with me for the hunt but he’s not in any condition to bike in very far and can’t walk too far. He had an accidental shot in the calf last year with a 357 Magnum. A day before Harvey hit. We live in Houston.
              I already know, i told him this isn’t a hunt he needs to go on a year later but he is determined and really excited about it.
              My question is: are electric bikes or pedal assist bikes really not allowed at Laguna or the NWR’s. Me personally, I don’t think they should be allowed unless you are disabled etc but I’m curious what the NWR rules truly are. I know a lot of guys (myself included) probably wouldn’t want it to be known that you can use electric bikes but I think I’ll call the rangers and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
                So I got drawn again for the Archery hunt Nov 16-20. I went last year and had some ups and downs. Stuck a cow and a bull. Cow i knew i barely hit bc she moved but i found the bull. Problem was he swam across a stream/river or whatever and died. Unfortunately the buzzards found him before i could. He ran for about a mile. I’ve never seen so many buzzards on an animal that quick. I had another 2 more within range but couldn’t get a clean shot off. I packed light and was mobile on my bike. I used a backpacking chair with camo shirt over it and just used the bike to get to an area to hunt. Find water, trails or large fresh dung piles. If the hunters don’t mess up their routine too much they will definitely come to the same dung pile.

Large dung pile that i saw multiple bulls using. For some reason i didn’t hunt it until the last morning and that was the one day they didn’t come.

Well it sounds like you got the place pegged dude! I got the third draw so I’m trying to factor in pressure. Maybe get lucky on a guess at pattern change.

I wouldn’t have any issues personally with an e-bike. Looked for a way around it but they have it pretty well under thumb. That should be the exception if there was one.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.
                  That will work.

Comment

I put new tubes, new tube liners and new "reinforced tires" on the bike.

the tube liners were a pain to get in there and stay centered. Will slime them tomorrow. Gotta build up the right side pedal couple inches to balance me out. Working on a cart..should have pictures tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how far I can make it back into unit 1.

Comment

If you go back to last years threads you get to see what units most the animals were killed in through out the different hunts by pictures posted of the kill board. I was there for the exotic only hunt last year. We started out in Unit 1 but ended up moving to the northern units of 3,5 and 8. They seemed to have more sign than unit 1 at that time. But they were also a lot more open than unit 1 or 6. This year just a lot of scouting will determine what unit we end up in.

Comment

Just thought I would give my experience of last year being my first year to hunt laguna. Kill board photos sure helped me to decide when We hadn’t seen much for a couple of days it was time to move to units that had produced more animals the weeks of hunting prior to our hunt. And we never saw or talked to anyone that was hunting unit 2. I wish we would have scouted in Unit 2, just to see what it had to offer. Laguna is a huge place, that is forsure. Once we moved units and got away from other hunters we saw more game but still was unable to connect on a nilgai, had a cow within 40 yards just couldn’t get a good shot on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          I put new tubes, new tube liners and new "reinforced tires" on the bike.

the tube liners were a pain to get in there and stay centered. Will slime them tomorrow. Gotta build up the right side pedal couple inches to balance me out. Working on a cart..should have pictures tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how far I can make it back into unit 1.

Where did you get liners and reinforced tires?

Comment

the tires and heavy duty tubes I got at Walmart. everything else off amazon. Keeping the liners centered in the tire was brutal. Hope it stayed that way once I got the tire completely on. The liners are color coded depending on size. Think I got brown for my 26" bike.

Weather permitting, gonna go down there this weekend.

Comment

Good deal. Wish I didn’t have grand sims bd party this week end I’d meet up with you.

Comment

I was drawn for the rifle hunt in January - anyone else on here drawn for that hunt? 1/18-20?

Not sure if this is the right discussion forum for that or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X