Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corp of Engineers land above lake Steinhagen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corp of Engineers land above lake Steinhagen?

Does anyone know if the Corp of Engineers land along the Neches River, just North of Lake Steinhagen is Type II?

I has been in the past. Was good hunting a for deer and hogs in the area between the forks of the rivers. Years ago you could walk in from Walnut Ridge campground and hunt that area.

Comment

Comment

Great hunting out there for sure, deer and hogs, just don't shoot a Louisiana black bear, couple in that area, native to East Tx.

Comment

There's a handful of guys hunting that pretty hard. We have ran cameras out there for several years and the deer population is smaller than you would think. Pretty woods but hard hunting for little bucks. Most of The area floods periodically and the deer seem to head to the high ground of the hunting clubs that surround the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rjustinyoung View Post
            There's a handful of guys hunting that pretty hard. We have ran cameras out there for several years and the deer population is smaller than you would think. Pretty woods but hard hunting for little bucks. Most of The area floods periodically and the deer seem to head to the high ground of the hunting clubs that surround the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Been 7 years since I hunted out there

Comment

Not being very familiar with the area, how are yall accessing it? boat only or is there any drive in access? I've never hunted up that way, but fished the lake most of my life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to park off the side of a service road/forest road 27
                Friend of mine would enter from east using a canoe to cross Neches, I'm thinking it was 3775

Comment

I have also heard of Walnut Ridge being pretty good general hunting, especially small game

Comment

I've done a lot of waterfowl hunting there, and grew up near that area. I've never hunted deer there. There just didn't seem to be many of them, and they get a ton of pressure from the surrounding hunting clubs. I can honestly say I've never even seen a deer out there. There are certainly deer there, but it is very thick in most places and very difficult to hunt. Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                      I did a little looking, but only saw hog sign.

Comment

Working...
                      X