Draw hunt info Big Bend/Arroyo unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw hunt info Big Bend/Arroyo unit

Looking for any info on these 2 hunts, (youth gun either sex) Big Bend and Las Palomas WMA-Arroyo Colorado unit. I searched past threads, just looking for anything else.
    Big Bend - Anyone have any experience with hiring a guide?
    Arroyo unit- Not much found on this place, what to expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Rocket15 View Post
    Looking for any info on these 2 hunts, (youth gun either sex) Big Bend and Las Palomas WMA-Arroyo Colorado unit. I searched past threads, just looking for anything else.

Don't think you can use a guide unless it's just him scouting before you go and pointing you in the right direction. The way the hunts are that I've been on if your name wasn't on the app drawn your not allowed on the property during the hunt, no non hunting guest etc.

Comment

This comes from the hunt description.

Successful applicants must meet at the Sauceda Ranger Station by 8:30 a.m. on the first morning of their hunt. All hunters desiring to stay on the park during the hunt period may stay at Sauceda headquarters or at a campsite within their assigned compartment. The hunting permit will serve to waive the park entrance fee. All other standard park fees apply during the hunt. Optional transportation and guide service is available at additional cost. Call the Park headquarters for further information or accommodations (432/358-4444

I called the park station but didn't get much info on guides, said to call back later if I decided I want one and they would make arrangements. Thinking that I'm going to drive 11hrs for a 2 1/2 day hunt that has a low success rate it may be worth it. Looking for input from anyone that has hunted there before.

Comment

This comes from the hunt description.

Successful applicants must meet at the Sauceda Ranger Station by 8:30 a.m. on the first morning of their hunt. All hunters desiring to stay on the park during the hunt period may stay at Sauceda headquarters or at a campsite within their assigned compartment. The hunting permit will serve to waive the park entrance fee. All other standard park fees apply during the hunt. Optional transportation and guide service is available at additional cost. Call the Park headquarters for further information or accommodations (432/358-4444

I called the park station but didn't get much info on guides, said to call back later if I decided I want one and they would make arrangements. Thinking that I'm going to drive 11hrs for a 2 1/2 day hunt that has a low success rate it may be worth it. Looking for input from anyone that has hunted there before.

That's awesome had no idea that was an option good luck to yall

Comment

Get the guide if the fee is affordable.

Comment

I could see myself doing that, then again I don't think I am at that stage of desperation. Then again, you don't necessarily have to be desperate to get rid of everything and sever most of your ties in exchange for big skies and wide open land.
            If you are living off the land, though, it's going to take some knowledge or the ability to obtain that knowledge, especially in a place like the desert or some rocky terrained equivalent. What will he do for water, for instance? I suppose you have water for sale at the community facility. I hope he can prepare prickly pear cactus and knows where to try to dig for emergency water. Are there any tasty beetles in the area? Tarantulas are edible if roasted correctly, etc.
            I wish him all the best, too. Keep us updated.

Comment

Kinda lost me on that post. I think you said a guide may be helpful but not really sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WillHill View Post
                I could see myself doing that, then again I don't think I am at that stage of desperation. Then again, you don't necessarily have to be desperate to get rid of everything and sever most of your ties in exchange for big skies and wide open land.
                If you are living off the land, though, it's going to take some knowledge or the ability to obtain that knowledge, especially in a place like the desert or some rocky terrained equivalent. What will he do for water, for instance? I suppose you have water for sale at the community facility. I hope he can prepare prickly pear cactus and knows where to try to dig for emergency water. Are there any tasty beetles in the area? Tarantulas are edible if roasted correctly, etc.
                Man, you need to back off the cheap whiskey....

Comment

Anybody have any information on the los Palomas WMA? Thinking I'm (he's) going to pass on this hunt. Need some time to hunt our place.

Comment

What was that I just read?

Comment

This hunt isn't a survivor TV show...??? Bring your water and pack a lunch is this serious or trolling? Lol

Comment

Anybody have any information on the los Palomas WMA? Thinking I'm (he's) going to pass on this hunt. Need some time to hunt our place.

My daughter and I hunted Las Palomas unit last year (2015/2016) on an either sex hunt and it was a great. We stayed in Arroyo City at a VRBO property (Las Casita) and brought the family to make a vacation out of it with S. Padre 40 minutes away. Had a nice big blind (4x8 fiberglass with feeder), the biologist let me take my 2 other younger daughters to watch the older one. It was slow one afternoon so we called coyotes and the biggest bobcat I have ever seen to within 20 yards of the blind (couldn't shoot but cool to see).

She ended up with a doe last morning but 10 minutes into the first hunt a fully mature buck was broadside about 120 yards out with the wind howling and a cold front coming in. The windows were a bit high and she tried to sit on the chair and was too "wiggly" to take the shot at that moment. With his butt turned to us he walked slowly away and into the brush, never knew we were there. She ended up standing for the shot at the end. Learning experience for both of us. I think you should go although I understand it's a long way down there.

Comment

I hunted Big Bend in 2001 or 2002. Long story short, no guide, a lot of driving to get to headquarters, then more driving to get to my hunt area. Walked up a hill and glassed only to see a group of mule deer up the other hill where I parked. Stalked back down and made the longest shot of my life on a mule deer buck and dropped him on the hillside (felt awesome). Then walked up the hill only to jump 2 more bucks that were bigger.

Comment

didn't know we passed recreational use of marijuana in Texas...

Comment

Working...
                            X