Kickapoo Caverns SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickapoo Caverns SP

My buddy and I just got drawn for Archery Deer at Kickapoo Caverns SP, Oct. 8 - Oct. 12. Did any of you guys hunt Kickapoo last year or the year before? We’ve never been there and any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I searched the forum for info and came up with old posts that date back to 2014, and earlier, but I was hoping for something a bit more current.

I look forward to thoughts and comments from anyone who’s been to Kickapoo Caverns SP.

Thanks,
    Andrew

I’d like some info also, my girls got drawn for gde, it’s their first drawn hunt

Comment

It looks like KactusKiller and I are the only forum members who were/are interested in Kickapoo Cavern SP.

It looks like we will be going in blind. I sure hope it turns out well for both of us.

Andrew

Comment

Not a real good hunt. Lots of goats and sheep to shoot but the deer hunting is poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went standby last year and came home with some meat. A wheelchair bound young man shot a Nilgai. I hunted compartment 8 after the original hunters left after tagging some meat. Be prepared to hike some hills. Look for some semi open flats. I set up on an open flat once I moved. I saw probably 12-15 deer once I moved. I thought that was pretty good without any corn.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
            It looks like KactusKiller and I are the only forum members who were/are interested in Kickapoo Cavern SP.

It looks like we will be going in blind. I sure hope it turns out well for both of us.

Andrew
            I drew Gun anterless/spike there for 12/17-19. I have never been to the park but I hunt a place sometimes that is on the other side of 674 about 2 miles south of there. Place I get to hunt some has good deer numbers and quite a few exotics (lots of axis) so I’m hoping it is similar at the park.

No baiting is going to make it a little tougher for sure but hopefully just find a good trail and set up on it or do some walking.

Good luck on your hunt. I’ll be curious to get your feedback after you get back since your hunt is before mine.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the information that y’all have provided thus far. The little bit I had read about the park was all geared towards the private cave tours and the bat flights which, in and of itself, are pretty cool but that’s not the main purpose in going, right?

Anyway, it sounds like it will be a tough hunt. I have seen some photos online that show quite a few exotics within the park. It would be sweet to have a chance to pull the string on an axis, or nilgai, or just about anything but I guess the conditions are the reason for last years success ratio being a mere 11%.

I will definitely post my impressions, and my hunt results, after I make the trip. Hopefully it will be useful for those of you who have been drawn for one of the hunts.

If anyone else has knowledge, or can expand upon what has been posted so far, please let us know. I look forward to the information.

Andrew

Comment

I would not go by last years success rate. There was a lot of very heavy rain the week prior to the hunt and a full moon. Some of the country is very thick with pinion pine. Staff is great. I would love to hunt it again.

Comment

Bring bug dope

Comment

The youth hunt was 39% last yr but you don’t know what all animals are figured into that. Most of the hunts I have ever been on have relatively low success rates but I also take that as the hunters were somewhat selective in some areas. Just depends if your going there looking for meat or a trophy of some kind.

Regardless it’s a great area and will be a fun hunt.

Comment

I didn’t check the results of last years youth hunt. 39% success is definitely nothing to sneeze at. The 11% I cited was for the Archery Deer which, when compared to rifle hunts, is always a bit lower. I’m sure the rain played a part in the low success. It sounds like Kickapoo will be a good place to hunt. I’m really excited about this opportunity.

Regarding bugs... it sounds like they may be a nuisance. Will bug dope do the trick or should I use a ThermoCell?

Comment

I’d use thermacell just strap it to your pack, luckily we will be there in Jan so hopefully no bugs or rattkebugs

Comment

I’ll take both, bug dope and ThermaCell, and in the interim I’ll pray for an early cold front. LOL

Schubert... do you recommend the use of a portable blind?

Comment

Hunting the flats and open areas, Yes. However, a majority of the park is hilltops and canyons. I saw a very nice buck as I was walking down a hill and he was across he canyon on the next hillside. Couldn’t get a shot off standing free handed. I set up my pop up in front of a large cedar bush and only put some cut branches on the roof to break up the outline.
                            Last edited by Schubert6689; 08-24-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post
                              Hunting the flats and open areas, Yes. However, a majority of the park is hilltops and canyons. I saw a very nice buck as I was walking down a hill and he was across he canyon on the next hillside. Couldn’t get a shot off standing free handed. I set up my pop up in front of a large cedar bush and only put some cut branches on the roof to break up the outline.
                              Was this a past hunt? Was there any success?

Comment

Working...
                              X