Knife Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Makers

Going to Africa this summer and probably doing euro mounts on everything I shoot. I probably won't bring back any skins with the exception of the warthog (hoping to make some finger tabs or maybe arm guards with it). What would you bring back? I noticed some knives over the years with scales made from various bones and I plan on learning to make scales eventually. As knife makers, do you have any recommendations as to what I should bring back?

Anything with knobby horns is good. Even a hoof can be made into scales.
    The trick is getting them straightened out. YouTube will guide you thru that.
    Leg bone from any big critter like eland or cape buff and especially that 15 foot tall spotted monster. Giraffe leg bones are some hard thick stuff. Camel bones are good but you not likely to find any down there.
    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-24-2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Leg bone from any big critter like eland or cape buff and especially that 15 foot tall spotted monster. Giraffe leg bones are some hard thick stuff. Camel bones are good but you not likely to find any down there.
      I won't be shooting any of those and I'd prefer using something from an animal I'd personally shot. If I tried using bones from a different animal, which bones would be my best bet?

Comment

I would suggest bringing back different types of bones, especially from larger animals you hunt, since they can make unique and sturdy knife handles. You can also consider antlers or horns for variety. Just make sure you follow local and international regulations when bringing these materials home.

Comment

Agree

That's what I've heard as well.

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post

Comment

Warthog is thin as a paper towel once tanned. It sucks to sew because the thread tears through easily. If your wanting leather you might pick another animal

Comment

All good information. I appreciate it.

Comment

If you run across giraffes bone it’s fantastic

Comment

Working...
                X