Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Marty

Catch your own coyote, take fur and use to hand tie your own jig, then use to catch crappie
    Pretty self sufficient

Checked mine yesterday, guessing deer did this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	24699917

Raining now and tomorrow so resets in my future for sure

Also found this scat, was thinking coyote but smaller than normal coyote poop I find

Name:	IMG_7637.jpg
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	24699918

Comment

I have established a "decoy set" apparently, that gets dug out by a smart coyote.
      I put in a blind set about 10 yards away, and missed him/her by a couple inches!
      Checking in the rain, so I didn't stop for a pic.

Comment

⁴I've pulled all of my sets. Tired of checking them. This last rain today was pretty heavy, too. Most of the traps fired, but it took more pressure than a small coyote would provide.
        One of them was really socked in and I had to dig it out and clean the peat moss out to trip it.
        It had been in the ground a long time. Might dump that location.
        It is a 4-coil and is night latched, as all of mine are.
        Aslo, I'm not impressed with the Zep floor polish dip (full metal jacket). I'm going to dye & wax after I power wash these things.
        Going to get some more Mark June bait & lures, too.
        IMO, the Gravedigger is too mild. Not convinced on the James Lucero lures either, although apparently lots of people have good success with them. I'll still use them.
        We'll see what happens when the breeding season comes around.

Comment

Got started this weekend on our season. Had 3 days of great weather and no catches, then snow and wind and 3 coyotes taken. Caught 2 in traps and the spouse shot one.
          Nice and fluffy and still good guard hairs.
          We'll skin, flesh, stretch and dry them for sale. Might end up getting the tanned or sell to someone privately.

1st catch was on a new Wind River drag, worked perfectly. 2 nd was on a trail set. Female in the meadow the night before was just loping along.
          We snapped our traps and will re set next week some time.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Wytex ! Is that a sabortooth drag? Looks like you run some serious chain! Is it #5 or is it larger ?

I’ve been pretty much obsessed with building the perfect coyote drag lately and am really please with what I finally came up with. Pretty much a “high plains plow” design. The 2 to 1 ration on stem length vs cross bar really keeps it on the ground digging. With a narrow cross bar and a swivel at the attachment point if it gets clogged up it can flip over easier and keep digging !
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sharkhunter; 11-27-2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Missed by a paw width

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	24700067

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Missed by a paw width

[ATTACH]1110783[/ATTACH]
                I hate that. Makes me question myself.

Comment

That is #3 chain.
                  Drags look great too !
                  Had 2 traps with paw prints next to them or on the jaw instead of the pan. step sticks were under the snow. Snow makes them look smooth for easy stepping over, ugh.

Comment

I left it just like that

Hopefully it comes back for another smell or another one comes along and knows where to step

Made me some sand/peat mix yesterday to use. Found a 5gallon bucket of gopher mound dirt that sat all summer. Used the drill auger to loosen it up, then alternated it and peat through the sifter to fill another bucket 2/3 full

Comment

Sharkhunter, what are you using/doing to sharpen the points on those drags?

Comment

Set my first trap today. Have a coyote using a road along a fence line. Used some deer brain as bait in the hole. Did not have my phone to take a picture. Hopefully the coyote is stupid and I might have a chance LOL. Appreciate all the information on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          Sharkhunter, what are you using/doing to sharpen the points on those drags?
                          Cotton spindle pins are already tapered so it doesn’t take much with a grinder. When I made drags with 3/8” round rod I’d clamp a grinder in a bench vise and use a 37 grit sanding disk and chuck the 5” long 3/8” round bar in a drill. That 37grit disk puts a point on them right now !

Comment

Thanks.

Good luck, Gtsticker!

Comment

A quick search found those spikes for $1.40 each.
                              Is that what you gave for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                                A quick search found those spikes for $1.40 each.
                                Is that what you gave for them?
                                They are sold on Southersnares.com for $1 each or 100 for $90 . I just placed an order for 100.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X