Planting For Dove Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting For Dove Questions

This will be a 10 acre hill country plot that grows hay every year with sandy loam soil. Pecan orchards all over the area.

Milo or Maze?

When to plant?

Possible fertilizer?

Thanks in advance brain trust.......................

Good question, I was thinking sunflowers along the cross fencing. Interested in the responses

Comment

I tried milo one year and got a good crop but had a horrible time getting seed to turn loose. If not sunflowers I like brown top for early season and pearl head for mid to late. I always plant first of may

Comment

I’m going to be planting my first dove plot this year as well. Following for tips

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          I tried milo one year and got a good crop but had a horrible time getting seed to turn loose. If not sunflowers I like brown top for early season and pearl head for mid to late. I always plant first of may

I had a really good Milo field one time. Had planned on shredding strips in it once a week. Hogs did it for me in one night. Leveled 5 acres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dove Proso Millet mixed with sunflower, needs planted soon. Shred rows through the field before season. Sorghum works too but it takes to long to mature and wont release the seeds in September. I aint done a dove plot in a long time, dont plant no corn as them hogs will visit it quite often.

Comment

ttt................

Comment

I’ve read the hardcore dove guys in here say to get your sunflowers in around Mother’s Day. We planted 7 acres of milo and sunflower and the deer wiped it all out when it got to about 1.5’ tall.

Comment

Sunflowers are great but deer can wipe out a 10 acre filed if population is high. Brown top is very easy to grow with short time to maturity. Fairly drought tolerant. Proso also easy to grow.

Comment

Gonna plant a plot of Sesame this year and see how it goes. My uncle had a huge Sesame field in Uvalde years ago and the amount of birds was insane. Supposedly, deer, hogs and others aren't fans of eating sesame plants...We shall see how it goes.

Comment

JD, you mention planting on an area that is typically hay pasture. You will want and need to have bare dirt underneath any crop you plant if you want to maximize your dove attraction. Do you have a way of spraying the field before planting? Gly at the very least after discing and before planting. Even better if you use pre emergent or post. For milo you can do post emergent using prowl h2o which is pendimethalin after milo is a certain height. For clearfield sunflowers you can use Beyond which treats broadleaf and grass or a clethodim product like Poast which only kills grass. If you plant say milo and the old hayfield sprouts up crabgrass, Johnson grass, etc it will be a losing battle and will never attract birds like bare ground underneath could. For the sesame growers, beware of the standard non shattering varieties that are available every where. Have planted last 2 years and dissapointed. Most seeds still in pods and never burst open. Get a shattering variety like Blanco, Margo, Dulce and you will have a constant supply hitting the ground for the dove. If you have the ability to plant any of the crops in rows then so much the better as its easier to spray and keep bare ground underneath open. If you have to broadcast that is fine but don't get carried away putting out too much. Plants will compete for limited moisture in the summer and not have good seed production if too thick. For a big 10 ac field like you want to do I think milo would be great and bush hog strips throughout the season. Whatever you decide to plant good luck and have much sucess

Comment

Originally posted by fluffer View Post
                        Gonna plant a plot of Sesame this year and see how it goes. My uncle had a huge Sesame field in Uvalde years ago and the amount of birds was insane. Supposedly, deer, hogs and others aren't fans of eating sesame plants...We shall see how it goes.

Hunted a sesame field this year. Best dove hunt I’ve ever been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a field I'm going to plant this year and have been trying to decide what and when. I'm wanting to do sunflowers, but I'm worried about the deer eating them. That's good information on the Sesame varieties. I may do that, even though the seed is way more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            I have a field I'm going to plant this year and have been trying to decide what and when. I'm wanting to do sunflowers, but I'm worried about the deer eating them. That's good information on the Sesame varieties. I may do that, even though the seed is way more expensive.
                            $6/lb I paid for shattering but 5 lbs does an ac. Good point on deer and sunflowers. Yes they will hammer them. First 2 years I electric fenced them because of cows. Last year no cows so I didn't put up fence all the bloom heads were gone in a week

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                              $6/lb I paid for shattering but 5 lbs does an ac. Good point on deer and sunflowers. Yes they will hammer them. First 2 years I electric fenced them because of cows. Last year no cows so I didn't put up fence all the bloom heads were gone in a week
                              Got a source for shattering varieties? Appreciate the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X