Fertilizing Oak Trees for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizing Oak Trees for Deer

I've seen some folks recommend fertilizing a stand of oak trees to possibly make them more desirable and palatable for deer. Has anyone seen any success doing this?

What fertilizer, what time of year, and how many applications?

In for replies.

I’ve used triple 13 in the past, but it’s hard to quantify what good it did.
    More of a feel good move for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

location/county? I have done the triple 13 on the drip edge as well a long time ago, and didn't notice much of a difference. In for replies.

Comment

The literature I have read is kinda split on doing a surface application or doing fertilizer stakes or doing a deep application with a root waterer. I have fertilized several around the drop line, but I don't have any good evidence to support better acorns. I do however fertilize native Greenbriars and the deer hammer those compared to the ones that are not fertilized. Fertilizer is cheap compared to protein and food plots if the dirt is already properly amended with lime, etc

Comment

My ol man areated the drip line then epsom salt..dunno if it did anything but he's kindof a botanist

Comment

not sure how big this area of oaks is but compost is always a good helper. put a thin layer around under the canopy. as it rains or gets watered lots of nutrients will go down into the soil and get to the ruts. we used to do this a lot when I worked for a tree company in Austin to help stressed trees.

Comment

QDMA has some great info on this as well as a lot of research and data.

It’s their belief (and mine) that it .... might/possibly/ kinda work.... but your money and time could be put to better use 1000 different ways.

Basically you ain’t gonna hurt anything, but there are better ways. With a higher percentage of a result at all

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                QDMA has some great info on this as well as a lot of research and data.

It’s their belief (and mine) that it .... might/possibly/ kinda work.... but your money and time could be put to better use 1000 different ways.

Basically you ain’t gonna hurt anything, but there are better ways. With a higher percentage of a result at all
                While I agree with this, the large oaks on the edges of my food plots get a lot of chicken manure. Deer clearly prefer acorns from these trees over threes away from the plots.

Comment

Thanks for all the input so far fellas. Much appreciated

Comment

In school (forestry) I did some reading on this. Fertilizing did pretty much nothing for acorn production. Fertilization helps the put on woody growth but you’re not gonna get more or better tasting acorns.

Comment

I have been fertilizing and watering some oaks around our camp, have noticed some good growth out of them but not many acorns.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                        not sure how big this area of oaks is but compost is always a good helper. put a thin layer around under the canopy. as it rains or gets watered lots of nutrients will go down into the soil and get to the ruts. we used to do this a lot when I worked for a tree company in Austin to help stressed trees.
                        This ^^
                        Doesn't get any better imo.
                        Never tried a Oak, but pecans and fruit trees love it.
                        Lot of work .
                        Once in the fall, and once in early spring.
                        Usually try and add 6" each time.

Comment

Originally posted by tlh2865 View Post
                          In school (forestry) I did some reading on this. Fertilizing did pretty much nothing for acorn production. Fertilization helps the put on woody growth but you’re not gonna get more or better tasting acorns.
                          Studied same and learned similar while at SFA. Extra nutrients won't add acorns (or nuts). However, a lack of nutrients will reduce the crop.

Most hardwoods produce well in wet years. That qualifies adding proper compost under the tree all the way to and outside the drip line.

Comment

You may need a soil sample to help you find the right fertilizer. I was told that I can fertilize my Holly trees every three months. Maybe you could do the same frequency for the oaks, not sure of the quantity. If you want to know the answer to the acorns, look up companies that sell acorns online...like the one below. I'll bet they know, because they sell acorns to deer hunters. btw, let us know if you find out.

Last edited by SaintBlaise; 01-25-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I can tell you about my experience with it.

I have always fertilized the oak trees that I wanted to hunt and have watched deer pass up every other oak tree and come to the very tree I fertilized. If acorns were on the ground, they came to them. Same thing with browse. I have fertilized browse areas I wanted to hunt and taken lots of deer that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X