X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

It has been a couple of years since we had one of these threads

I always enjoy seeing the pictures and learning new tips and tricks

So I thought I would start a current thread for those of us who will be trying to reduce the predator population to share information and success pictures

I am very much the novice but I have caught a few coyotes and plan to catch some more but we also have some very knowledgeable trappers amongst us that have shared their knowledge on these type of threads

Feel free to ask questions, offer advice and offer encouragement to your fellow TBH trappers here

I'm ready to get started.

Comment

Good luck guys. Sure wish there would have been internet forums and YouTube videos back in the late 60s, 70s, and 80s when I was trapping during the most recent fur heyday. Learning was basically restricted back then to talking to a few old godgers, reading the limited literature on the subject, and a whole lot of trial and error . . . mostly the latter. Experience is still the best teacher I think.

Comment

Well heck, didn't see this before I started another thread.
        Spouse and I do some trapping up here on the ranch we manage.
        Mainly bobcats and coyotes.
        We're going to start next week as weather permits, snow may be coming. We'll at least get to call some coyotes if it's snowy.

Interested to see what happens with fur auctions next spring. We had 1 bobcat sell at FHA auction and 1 did not, the largest did not sell.

We run MB 550s, Bridger #3 dogless and #3 coil spring, and some Victor 1.75 4x4 coil springs. All offset.

Couple of catch pics for this thread.
        Attached Files

Comment

You might find this amusing but the spouse has been using dead mice and rats for bait in cubby sets. Our mentor told us about something he used, dried jackrabbit faces and hides with googly eyes glued on.
          Well they work.
          Attached Files

Comment

If it works then keep doing it

Guy told me he saved gophers and used them in dirt hole sets and it worked

Comment

Set 3 coyote traps and 2 DP coon traps this afternoon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	24638078

Name:	IMG_5605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	24638079

If I can catch one coyote in the next 4 days I will be happy

Comment

Got one in that dirt hole set I posted above

Moved over and reset to see if I can get another one

I know there are at least 4 because I got one pic with 4 in the same pic

Name:	62810254616__B87863AB-65D3-429F-A6D6-CDF036A29F3D.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	24638114

Comment

Nice! I caught my first coyote on my right set the same night a week ago.

Was an exciting feeling of success.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Glad to see the thread, I should have some stuff to add soon.

Comment

Congrats Deafishunter, sure does get your confidence up to catch one

Hope to catch a few more here at the house. If they stayed in the back and ate dead stuff I wouldn't be so mad at them, but they want to sneak up around the house and poach a chicken and that is not acceptable. Plus they got a baby goat a few years ago.

I have a couple of coon traps out too, they have been vandalizing feeders

Comment

I’ve been snaring since last spring, but it seems like you just can’t put a dent in coyote populations. I just don’t have time to set traps during deer season.

Comment

If I had the know how and/or patience to learn I'd post up some pics. As it stands though I've got 5 coyotes-3 cats-9 coons for November. Total for the last few months from this sheep ranch 22 coyotes- 24 bobcat- 957641.5 coons and a few badger. Coons numbers may be exaggerated a touch but I knew better than to say a metric $}!+ ton.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                            If I had the know how and/or patience to learn I'd post up some pics. As it stands though I've got 5 coyotes-3 cats-9 coons for November. Total for the last few months from this sheep ranch 22 coyotes- 24 bobcat- 957641.5 coons and a few badger. Coons numbers may be exaggerated a touch but I knew better than to say a metric $}!+ ton.
                            Good numbers, you obviously have things figured out trapping wise

How big is the place?

How many traps are you running?

What set is most successful (flat/dirt hole/blind)?

Comment

Total acres between the 2 ranches +/- 20,000 acres
                              Running around 60 sets half snares, half #2 sized coilspring traps
                              Right now dirtholes are the best producer, as the season progresses into breeding season a flat set will be more dominate.

Comment

Working...
                              X