Used Cars - "Haggle Free Pricing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Cars - "Haggle Free Pricing"

Has anyone bought a used car from a dealer lately that has "haggle free pricing"? Pro's - Con's - Thoughts?

It seems like most dealerships are going to this strategy, and I'm not sure if its a good thing...

Basically they will not budge off the price no matter what.

I even went and test drove a vehicle a few days ago and told the guy I was interested in buying it. The sticker price was around 15k and the online advertised price was about 13k. They told me they would only "negotiate" the sticker price, not the online price? Doesn't seem like much of a negotiation...

Am I wrong in thinking the negotiations should have started at the online advertised price? The dealership wouldn't budge a dollar even though they were not technically advertised as a "haggle free" dealership.

I would have likely bought the vehicle if they would have negotiated a few hundreds bucks... I wasn't asking for Thousands off or anything..

Needless to say I walked out without purchasing, and continue to search...

What are y'alls thoughts or experiences???

I had a dealership do this to me. I offered $2k less than the first number they came to me with. The sales manager even talked to me and I would not budge, and they weren’t either. So I told them they missed out on a sale and I left. The next day they called me back saying they would accept my offer. Sorry, you had your chance and you blew it so I’m currently buying a truck from a big competitor of yours at the amount I wanted to pay.

Comment

They've started listening to buyers who don't want to go through all the BS of haggling.
      If they won't budge, that's their right, "haggle free" label or not.
      A few hundred bucks is well worth my time involved in starting from scratch on a new "deal." To be done with the car buying process (chore) and back to normal life over 2-3% of the price? Done!
      I bought a vehicle over the phone yesterday and am going to pick it up tomorrow. Paid sticker without complaint because this is a high demand vehicle and there are no deals to be had.

Comment

Car Max is like that. Their price is their price and they won't come down a nickel on it. Yes, they'll let you walk over the price. I know some people who love the place because they hate haggling over the price of the car. I bought my current car (2013 Ford C-Max) from Car Max. The price was reasonable, and the wife was happy because we weren't there for hours trying to buy the durn thing. My understanding is there are more and more places where you can do your research and send them your offer by email for a particular car or truck, and they'll contact you if they have what you want, and are willing to accept your offer. A guy I work with has done this for the last couple of trucks he bought, and it worked out well for him.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I'm one of those that absolutely hates negotiating for vehicles. I used to do it anyway but playing several hours of verbal volleyball with some bozo to maybe save a few bucks is no longer worth my time. I have had good experiences at CarMax both selling and buying. I admit that I might get a better deal if I "played the game" at a regular dealership but it is too much of a beat-down.

Comment

Haggle Free buying would be great as long as the price is fair! That would mean that it would be a ways under all the other guys who don't have haggle free. The way cars are sold should be illegal!!!! It is a system set up to rip off the most they can from any given buyer.

If I go in a dealership and buy a car for "X" dollars, and another guy goes in the dealership and buys the same car for "Y" dollars, one of us got ripped off!

Cars should be sold at a fair price that is the same for everyone, just like most everything else you buy at any other store.

Bisch

Comment

I haggle with a dealer for about 10 minutes, max. If they ain't budging in that time, I walk. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Haggle Free buying would be great as long as the price is fair! That would mean that it would be a ways under all the other guys who don't have haggle free. The way cars are sold should be illegal!!!! It is a system set up to rip off the most they can from any given buyer.

If I go in a dealership and buy a car for "X" dollars, and another guy goes in the dealership and buys the same car for "Y" dollars, one of us got ripped off!

Cars should be sold at a fair price that is the same for everyone, just like most everything else you buy at any other store.

Bisch
                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
                  I would have likely bought the vehicle if they would have negotiated a few hundreds bucks... I wasn't asking for Thousands off or anything..
                  It almost appears that you PREFER the haggling. (Maybe not?) Were you wanting them to 'negotiate' or were you wanting 'a better price'?
                  I hate the negotiation process.
                  To me it is about what a fair price is. I do my research before buying and know what the vehicle should cost/what I'm willing to pay. I haven't stepped foot in a dealership for my last three vehicles until I picked them up, and I had one dealer that delivered the vehicle to me from 100 miles away.
                  To me, it doesn't really matter whether they are willing to drop $10 or $10,000 as long as the price I pay is what I was willing to pay. It other words, I get no pleasure at all out of 'the game' they like to play.

Comment

Bought my current one from CarMax -- got a good deal on it and was willing to pay what they were asking -- in and out in 2 hours -- took them longer to clean it and get it ready than for me to buy it.

as others have said - I know what I'm willing to pay for the vehicle I'm interested in so if they have the right price they get the business.

Comment

my experience has been that I can always buy cheaper somewhere other than the no haggle places. I don't like em

Comment

I'm fine with no haggle pricing as long as they don't try to add all kinds of fees after the fact. You know what the price is and what the car is worth. All the information is online now days. Heck you can buy the cars online now with Carvona or Vroom. They will buy your car and sell you a new one. I sold my last car to Vroom, they paid me three times what the dealer wanted to give me on trade-in. They came to the house and picked up the car. Money in my account next day. Almost bought from them, but found a better deal at the dealer.

Comment

I think places like CarMax provide a price that is fair. Are there better prices to be had from regular dealers, sure. Are you getting ripped off, no. The price is somewhat a balance or meet in the middle. Hey you never know though. Drop them an amount and leave your phone number with them. Worst thing they can do is not call you.

Just research and know your vehicle and market. One thing I noticed is for certain types of vehicles, decent percentages off MSRP are the norm, for other vehicles not so much. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

I bought my wife an Audi SUV a few months back after looking at a couple Mercedes as well. The buying experience was nothing like I ever experienced when buying a truck. I'm talking like 6% off MSRP was the best any of these dealers would do on these luxury SUV's. Went to a few different dealers, left cell phone #, walked out, etc. Same story at each one of them...they wouldn't budge. Nothing like my previous truck buying experience getting 10 plus percent off MSRP without even much haggling.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                            Bought my current one from CarMax -- got a good deal on it and was willing to pay what they were asking -- in and out in 2 hours -- took them longer to clean it and get it ready than for me to buy it.

as others have said - I know what I'm willing to pay for the vehicle I'm interested in so if they have the right price they get the business.
                            Ive bought a couple from CarMax through the years. One thing they will do is replace the tires. Ive gotten a new set on every car ive bought. That's about $800 now days.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                              Ive bought a couple from CarMax through the years. One thing they will do is replace the tires. Ive gotten a new set on every car ive bought. That's about $800 now days.
                              Same - they put new ones on mine without me having to ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X