My 8yo son got it done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 8yo son got it done

My son and I have been hunting hard this last week. We haven't been seeing anything worth shooting or otherwaise legal. We don't really have a lot of deer but we still try to hold out and only shoot older deer. We finally had a good one show up and my 8 year old son was able to get it done. I'm going to go ahead and say it, sorry for the long read.

Saturday afternoon we were running a little later then I wanted to be, we get to the property at about 2:15 and it was misting/raining. I decided that even though we were late I was still going to pour out an entire bag of corn. So I got our stuff ready, threw the bag of corn on my shoulder and started the uphill hike to the stand. We got about a hundred yards out from the stand and I opened the bag and started pouring a steady line up untill about 30 yards out. At which point I told my son to go ahead and get in the stand while I finish dumping out the corn. I poured a line down the feeder lane, a lane in front of us and the last bit by the protien feeder, almost 180 degrees of 4 shooting lanes.

As I finished the last of the corn I turned back towards the stand and was about to start rolling the bag up when I saw my son hanging out of the front window waving at me and mouthing "deer" and pointing down the road we just walked in from. So I slowly sneaked up to the stand and looked down the road. About 30 yards down the road stood this deer eating the corn I had just poured out.

I halfway climbed in the stand handed my son his ear muffs and asked for his gun. He proceeded to ask "Can I shoot his deer?" As soon as I asked him if he wanted to he started shaking and getting surper excited. I took the sling off his gun, opened up the lense caps and loaded a round and handed it to him. He got set up and ready. I told him to let him get broadside before he shoots. After a few moments that seemed a lot longer then they really were, he finally stood broadside long enough for my son to put the shot right where it needed to be. As soon as the gun went off I knew it was a good lung shot, even though the buck ran.

We high fived, huged and talked about the high points of the hunt, such as how he saw the deer and was trying to warn/stop me. Apparently my son said he noticed this buck when I was still dumping out corn in the shooting lane in front of us. I let him fill out his tag himself with me just pointing and spelling out words for him, such as Bosque county. We then went and found the buck, I showed him what lung shot blood looks like in a trail. He followed the blood trail up to the deer even though we could see him from where first boold was found. Pictures were taken and he started sending out the pictures to all our family and friends.

He is still supper excited and talking about it like he just got the new world record. This buck may not be a trophy to most but is a decent deer for where we are hunting and a huge deer to him.

Thanks for reading, I will defently be showing this to him tomorrow evening.
    Attached Files

Great buck. Congrats little fella

Comment

That is an awesome buck! I didn't get one that good until I was almost 40 years old!

You are a great hunter. Nice job!

Comment

Very nice buck. Congratulations to the young man!!

Comment

That’s way cool, congrats on a dandy buck.

Comment

Very nice buck, congrats to your son

Comment

Congrats young man, great job Dad

Comment

That’s a great buck!!!!!!

Congrats to your son!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dang good buck congrats to the young man

Comment

that's awesome congrats to your son

Comment

Congrats little buddy, you did great!

Comment

That smile says it all !

Comment

Great buck and awesome story!

Comment

That’s awesome! Nice buck! Congrats to your boy and you too dad! Making memories to last a lifetime!

Comment

wow whaat a beast!!! congrats to your boy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X