Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would NOT shoot at a trophy on fence line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammer.....down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't shoot unless I could justify in my head it was extremely improbable that the exiting bullet would cross the fence line. If the deer walked closer toward me and the angle of my height put the bullet below thee fence line, or he walked to where there was a backstop, blamo. If I thought there was a chance it could exit and enter another property, no shot for me.
      Last edited by ctom87; 11-18-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I’m shooting. I’m confident in my shooting ability.

Comment

My go-to setup is along a property line - it's maybe 40yds from the fence & is inside our perimeter road. Feeder is another 25 yds in beyond stand. Never had a problem shooting or recovering deer because they stay on our side due to that feeder. That said, it's a bow stand and I don't rifle hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I wouldn’t hunt anywhere near a fence for this to ever be an option.

Hypothetically speaking, I would not aim towards someone else’s property and shoot. Too big a risk the deer would jump off my property. It’s also unethical in my book, and potentially illegal if the bullet leaves my property. The size of the deer doesn’t change that.
            Ditto!

Comment

I’ll shoot them on the other side of the fence. Just make sure they run into mine. Kidding to all the serious stanleys. Yes I would and I’d be prepared to ask a neighbor for permission to track if needed and prepared for a “No” as well.
              Last edited by Bradical BH; 11-18-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Ya didn’t read all of the posts, did ya?
                No sir. Just read the opening salvo and responded.

Comment

The only way I would not shoot, is if there was some sort of structure or something in the path right behind the deer. Otherwise, Bang!

Comment

Unless there was a visible house, blind, truck etc... I’m shooting everytime.

Could a freak accident possibly happen where my bullet would kill someone? Yes. But what about all the bullets flying around public woods etc.... you just don’t hear about it happening Because it doesn’t happen. If you live your life avoiding every possible freak accident you will have a boring life. You won’t drive, you won’t fly, etc. etc. etc. Use common sense and you will be ok.

Comment

Would not think twice. I shoot HogDog ammo.....it doesn't cross fences.

Comment

Go for the neck shot

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          I’m basically just saying that people can not emphatically convince me that they would pass up the buck of a lifetime just because their bullet might cross a fence line where there is one chance in 10 gazillion with the usual trees/ brush that the bullet could accidentally kill someone. I am not talking about the obvious danger with a house/blind in sight.
                          I am too ignorant to know what a buck of a lifetime is, haven't been hunting long enough. So I would err on the side of regulation and following the rules. Matter of fact, I had what was the biggest buck I have ever seen in lifetime come within 5 yds and had an opportunity to take him, albeit literally in a split second, but could not pull the trigger [on my release].

So I beg to differ, get someone dumb enough to not know what they are doing and I think think they could convince you.

Also if anyone wants to see if my theory is true or not and can put a buck of a lifetime on a fence line in front of me with a rifle, please pm me and I will be the test subject.
                          Last edited by ctom87; 11-18-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Hell yes I'd shoot. Then again I only deer hunt with a bow so I'm not sure it matters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Would not think twice. I shoot HogDog ammo.....it doesn't cross fences.
                              Winner!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just put your stand on the fence line and you don’t have to worry about shooting that way... but I think that’s a different thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X