First Ever Draw: Big Lake Bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ever Draw: Big Lake Bottom

Hey guys, this is my first post. I put into the draw system for the first time and drew an e-postcard for big lake bottom! I only have hunted Old Sabine Bottom with no success. I have heard that a stand and an atv are a must. Does anyone have any advice for finding the deer? It’s hard to find anything there e-scouting but I plan on putting in a few days of boots on the ground scouting. I’m trying to find some pinch points and transition lines. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks and God bless!

Welcome. I'll type up some info when I get to a computer with a keyboard.

Comment

Congrats. In the past there gave been some really big deer there. I heard the massive flooding in the past few years really hurt the age structure. Still there is a chance of seeing a whopper.

Comment

I saw you read the previous topic on blb. I would likely post the same info but add, bring a tow strap and comealong or winch. It's a long walk...trust me.

Bring a ThermaCELL.

Comment

Sorry can't help you, but WELCOME.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Congrats. In the past there gave been some really big deer there. I heard the massive flooding in the past few years really hurt the age structure. Still there is a chance of seeing a whopper.

Thanks! That’s what I’ve heard a few say. There’s big deer there you just have to find them, just like Old Sabine Bottom. I’m hoping I’ll get lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              I saw you read the previous topic on blb. I would likely post the same info but add, bring a tow strap and comealong or winch. It's a long walk...trust me.

Bring a ThermaCELL.

I will definitely bring a thermacell for sure. I was out scouting at OSB last week and the mosquitos there are ferocious. I’m going to try and rent an atv from my in laws but if not I have a Jeep Wrangler with a winch. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I hunted there last year for the first time. A ATV is a must. For stands, climbers and or lock on. I hunted left of the main gate. Then went up the high line. Lot of scrapes on the left side of the power line. Seen some massive rubs as well. There will be a lot of ground to cover. Almost overwhelming!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  I hunted there last year for the first time. A ATV is a must. For stands, climbers and or lock on. I hunted left of the main gate. Then went up the high line. Lot of scrapes on the left side of the power line. Seen some massive rubs as well. There will be a lot of ground to cover. Almost overwhelming!!!

Thanks for the info! I plan on hunting the mornings till about 9 and if I don’t see anything I’ll get down and scout. I know early in the season it’s best to hunt food. I’m going to try and stumble on a tree dropping fresh acorns but mainly stick to deer travel and pinch points. Did you draw a tag this year?

Comment

No, I didn’t draw this year. I never did find any acorns there last year. One guy on the hunt found some right on the big creek somewhere.

Comment

Nice! I’ll try to keep a look out for them. I wonder how wet it is there. I was thinking about heading down later this week to check it out

Comment

You might want to ask about that jeep in case you don’t get a 4 wheeler. Not sure if they will allow something like that or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          You might want to ask about that jeep in case you don’t get a 4 wheeler. Not sure if they will allow something like that or not.

Ya I’m confused at what an ORV is. I’ve read the literature and to my understanding a jeep could be a 4x4 off road vehicle. I’ll have to call up there and ask though.

Comment

Hi I have hunted with jnd1959 listen to him. I will share a couple of things via PM. I will write.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                              Hi I have hunted with jnd1959 listen to him. I will share a couple of things via PM. I will write.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you

Comment

Working...
                              X