Need help from you knife makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from you knife makers

My son has been making knives for about a year. Has been working at my parents shop but decided to get his own stuff for the house. Everything seems to be working fine other than the bandsaw he uses to rough cut the blanks from bar stock. He has a 62”x3/8 bandsaw but what blade do I need to get him to cut the steel? Picked up the one in the pic below and it’s not cutting the steel at all.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a portaband but my blades are Lenox 24TPI Bi-metal blades from Lowes...

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
      My son has been making knives for about a year. Has been working at my parents shop but decided to get his own stuff for the house. Everything seems to be working fine other than the bandsaw he uses to rough cut the blanks from bar stock. He has a 62”x3/8 bandsaw but what blade do I need to get him to cut the steel? Picked up the one in the pic below and it’s not cutting the steel at all.
      Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the machine isn't running too fast too...that can ruin blades pretty quick!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like way too coarse of a blade. I have better luck with a finer stagger tooth blade.

Comment

It’s all about the blade speed. 18 TPI is fine. You cannot just put that blade on the wood cutting saw, it won’t work. You have to have a slower, metal saw.

Comment

Working...
          X