Drawn for Powderhorn WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Powderhorn WMA

I hit the lottery and was drawn for Powderhorn WMA gun deer either sex with exotics on 11/2-11/4. I honestly had never heard of the place until a couple weeks ago while signing up for the draw, figured why not give it a shot. I lost my lease of 20 years this year so it is definitely a blessing.

I am looking for tips for hunting the area as I have never hunted that part of Texas. From what I gather, the Sambar like the marsh and open areas surrounding. I have a 6.5 creedmoor and a 4x4 truck with basic road tires. I have thought about upgrading my rifle choice and tires just for this hunt. If anyone that has hunted the place can chime in and let me know if it's necessary, please do so.

On Facebook it was suggested for good water proof boots that go to the knee, anyone have recommendations? I have chest waiders, but that doesn't seem like a great option for walking any real distance.

How are people retrieving their game? Quarter it up and pack out, game cart?

What is the blind situation? Should I find a mobile tripod to take with me and set up? Recommendations on brand are welcome.

Any recommendations on a place to stay in Seadrift or Port O'Connor? I don't need anything fancy, just basic necessities in a decent area. I plan to look at VRBO and Airbnb as I would think that is the off season and could get a better rate.

I am really excited about the hunt and figure it's a once in a lifetime deal, so I want to do it right. Thank you in advance for any help.

Congrats!! We were drawn as well and picking up a lot of great information from members on here and from a buddy that hunted Powderhorn last year. I will pass the information to you as I get it. I also started a thread. Good luck and hopefully we can link up down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great. Definitely looking for info as I have no real clue about the place. I can only do so much research, nothing beats first hand knowledge and experience though.

Comment

Really marshy in some areas. My BIL shot a 465 lb Sambar on that hunt (I got skunked).
        Sambar will pop in and out of the treeline so you might have to make a quick shot. I had a Sambar cow come out with my back turned and disappeared back into the woodline before I could get up on her. I wouldn't have even known if my BIL hadn't had been in the blind with me on the last morning.

This was the January 2020 hunt and there were a lot of Sambar, white tail, and some axis brought in. BIL had his 7mm Magnum and I had my 300 Wby.. Hit the Sambar in the high shoulder to anchor.

The WMA staff would retrieve the Sambars for you as long as you gutted them. It took five of us to get BIL's Sambar up on the back of the UTV.

Some folks were stalking on them successfully but we stayed in the stands. My mistake was staying in the same stand until the last morning. If you aren't seeing them, IMO, you probably won't where you are at.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the information. I found a couple places to stay in Port O'Connor. My Dad is going to stay with me, maybe set up a fishing guide for him if anyone has any recommendations.

Comment

Don’t sit in the blinds they have out, walk the roads and target marshy areas, Sambar are easy to stalk up to. Also don’t be afraid to ask for a new unit a lot of guys will leave after getting there Sambar and you can have new/better units available.

Comment

Any recommendations on good units? I plan to pick the brains of the staff for advice while there.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelBRice View Post
                Don’t sit in the blinds they have out, walk the roads and target marshy areas, Sambar are easy to stalk up to. Also don’t be afraid to ask for a new unit a lot of guys will leave after getting there Sambar and you can have new/better units available.
                ^^^ exactly what he said[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                  Any recommendations on good units? I plan to pick the brains of the staff for advice while there.
                  I believe the staff selects your unit for your group. I would volunteer for the closest unit to the check station if I go again[emoji41]

Big, wide, open, and no miserable drive in. Plus, the road traffic is common. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I was drawn solo for this hunt. Will I be put with a random group?

Comment

That's a good question, some WMAs will do that. I don't think so at Powderhorn. I know of one woman who was solo and hunted her own personal compartment. It was her 2nd time there, she took a Sambar each time I heard.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I seem to remember a couple of solo hunters on our hunt and I don't think they had to share an area but I know one was put on a stand that was within sight of the check station and I seem to recall he did pretty well.

Comment

I want to say we were in 7, me on one side and my BIL on another. I had a stand looking over a waterhole that I could see anything for a long way. The only thing I saw from my stand was cattle. My BIL's stand had marshy areas on the north and south side and there was a fair amount of activity.

Comment

Myself, dad, & brother were drawn for Powderhorn also. See ya'll out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X