Live pigeon shoots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
    What’s the legality of buying the quail on Craigslist and shooting them out of a bird launcher?
    Pen raised quail are legal to shoot in the game preserve season, which is sometime in October through March 15th.

Comment

If anyone every gets invited to shoot or watch a pigeon shoot, go do it. It is the most fun you can have with a shotgun in your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        Pen raised quail are legal to shoot in the game preserve season, which is sometime in October through March 15th.
        right on, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by marlinboy33 View Post
          I used to trap and throw birds for a living. I knew Doyle, seen him make some super long shots. And yes there is a shoot somewhere almost every weekend
          We probably know some mutual friends! Then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
            Um, this is not even remotely what OP was asking about.
            Went right over my head then, lol.
            Watched a hunting show last weekend that was a pigeon shoot near a big farm or dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              Went right over my head then, lol.
              Watched a hunting show last weekend that was a pigeon shoot near a big farm or dairy.
              I haven't been in decades, but here's how it was...corrections welcome.

It's a competition where the thrower takes a live bird & will sometimes manipulate the feathers to alter their steering & then toss it over a suspended wire in any manner to make the shooter miss...shooter has 2 shots to kill the bird in a certain distance I don't recall. I also forget the rules on wounded birds that fall inside.

We did the entry $20 miss & out...the fun is watching the big $$$$ shoot.

Comment

There is a circle and thrower is in the middle behind a barrier. He throws the bird up and it takes off in any direction, usually fluttering erratically. The bird must fall inside the circle to count. Good shooters will shoot the bird again on the ground because if it flutters outside along the ground and leaves the circle, it doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  There is a circle and thrower is in the middle behind a barrier. He throws the bird up and it takes off in any direction, usually fluttering erratically. The bird must fall inside the circle to count. Good shooters will shoot the bird again on the ground because if it flutters outside along the ground and leaves the circle, it doesn't count.
                  You can’t shoot it on the ground, but you should shoot it twice in the air even if it is stone dead after the first shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Last one I was at was at Greater Houston Gun Club back in probably 82-83...
                    Lou Poutous was one of the owners and I had permission to come and go as I wanted to. Shot a ton of doves in the east field. They had the pigeon coops by the road before you came to the club house. I was never a trap guy........

Comment

They use to hold a shoot at 121 and I-35 (Carrollton/Lewisville/Coppell) border. There is a gun club on the south west corner. When I worked Animal Control for Carrollton in the mid 90’s, I got called about them all the time. Was kinda funny that the signed judges orders always showed up late on Sunday afternoon/evening to shut them down.

Not sure if they still have them or if that club is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        Man, I have done a lot of them and have NEVER seen a barrier. That sounds too safe. . Listo. I go to a charity shoot each year and there are a lot of good/great shooters there but they also allow buy in to shoot for $2500 and anybody can shoot. I have cringed many times with hacks and lack of concern for thrower.

Comment

I hosted one 5 or 6 years ago with a BBQ and it was a lot of fun. I may try to do one again this spring. The gentlemen I used is out of Pearland or Alvin if I recall and I am sure he is the one mentioned earlier in this thread. I believe his son was working with him to run it. If I recall he was permitted and paid by the city of Houston to trap nuisance pigeons and that is where get gets his birds from. Then he sells them for these shoots. He goes all over to put these on. Gets paid twice for the birds.

Comment

They are from Alvin.

Comment

I consider myself primarily a bird hunter but I wasn't really a fan of the pigeon shoot. It was plenty sporty and I made a bunch of money but it just wasn't for me. The folks I work for host a shoot every chance they get. Birthdays, holidays, etc. Got another in a few weeks....

The old man organizing it has got it figured out. He's paid to trap/remove pigeons along his route through TX/OK and then paid again to shoot them. Typically the birds are left to the buzzards but last time they picked them up. The kid told me he sold them to the Mexican Restaurant in town with a straight face. LOL So paid three times for the same bird if true. Birds that are lucky enough to survive the drunk shooters typically end up back in his trap or at his house if they spent long enough there.

Comment

Dang i had never heard of these but now i wanna go to one. If anyone knows of any in the DFW area still taking place shoot me a PM

Comment

Working...
                                X