Houston. We have a problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston. We have a problem.

i likely missed this discussion earlier, but i need some help understanding this problem. i just drove from denton to sherman at sunrise and saw zero doves. i haven't seen a single quail in four years anywhere in the state and i've driven across west and northwest texas more than 10k miles during that same time frame. there is something bad wrong with our game bird populations. what's the experts' explanations?

No expert but I'll share my experience, been on the same lease 7 yrs now.Had fair quail and turkey populations.Between the hogs,coons skunks possums,fireants,and foxes I dont think ground nesting birds stant a chance in hell.Just my 2cents,

Comment

I actually was amazed by the quail pop at the ranch this weekend. Saw Atleast a 10 cubby’s

Comment

i have accepted the demise of quail due to several obvious issues- #1 fireants #2 hogs #3 aflatoxin in deer corn. but none of these apply to doves which have all but disappeared in traditionally rich areas-- hamilton is certainly no longer the dove capital of texas. i drove thru hamilton county last year on opening weekend and saw two doves and no hunters. sad.

Comment

Insect populations have been decimated so stands to reason the bird population would be impacted.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
            i have accepted the demise of quail due to several obvious issues- #1 fireants #2 hogs #3 aflatoxin in deer corn. but none of these apply to doves which have all but disappeared in traditionally rich areas-- hamilton is certainly no longer the dove capital of texas. i drove thru hamilton county last year on opening weekend and saw two doves and no hunters. sad.
            The biggest reason is the lack of habitat and the lack of sorghum grown.
            Dove don't eat bugs and quail don't eat many.

Comment

Different ranching and farming practices. No brushy fence rows and large ranches cleared of brush. Planting of improved grass and grazing. Non management of raptors since early 70s, just blanket protection. I see a large amount of coopers and sharp shinned hawks which devastate quail on the nest. Fur prices are down so less land predators are harvested. Increased use of pesticides and herbicides so not many bugs and not many weed seeds for birds. Hogs in areas where there were none in the past. Any of the above can hurt game bird populations several of these things in any one area can eradicate local populations. JMHO

Comment

No doves in Katy where I have been hunting for years, since hurricane Harvey.

Comment

It's not all habitat problems. My rough country has had no chemicals of any kind the last 35 to 40 years. No brush control. We do put up corn feeders during the deer hunting season only. We have started feeding protein during the spring and summer, but use one feeder on my place and only been doing this the last 2 or 3 years.

Comment

To many predators and egg suckers

Comment

many of the areas where dove hunting has traditionally been excellent are not any different than they were fifty years ago. the mesquite-clad west is not doveless but almost so. there is something bad wrong to the point that hunting in the big country is not worth the time and gas, unless you have family or fish to visit. when doves are not trading fields or sitting on wires/fences for dozens of miles, early or late, they are not there. i am heading to stephenville tomorrow and despite assurances from the landowner, i am at assured of some sweating and some hard eight. could be worse, i guess.

Comment

I’m seeing a few in fortbend but I agree. Last year by the time season started they were gone, And I’m surrounded by corn and sorghum.

Comment

Saw three this morning when I checked the water troughs on 200 acres just west of Lampasas.

Comment

It's been steadily declining in Grayson and Collin counties for years. I grew up in Frisco and hunted from there to Collinsville. I usually can find some decent shoots. This year there was absolutely nothing worth the time which is a first in 30 years. Habitat loss, change in farming practices, a freeze that killed birds in Feb, increased predation, INCREASED HUNTER NUMBERS AND PRESSURE are just some of the many reasons. I put humans at the top of the list though for why we continue to see a decline in many game animals.

Comment

I am not sure about Qual but I bet farming has had an impact on the doves migration routes. Just wonder if we have less to draw them to Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X