Wood stock finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood stock finishes

Have a very nice walnut stock that I am going to be doing some shaping on and was wondering what finishes you like using. Not interested in a long drawn out process with several products. Just a simple decent product.

boiled linseed oil works pretty well! and incredibly easy!

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
      boiled linseed oil works pretty well! and incredibly easy!
      I thought you were logging off for a bit!

I personally use Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil.

Comment

awesome than you!

Comment

Danish oil.

Comment

True Oil from Birchwood Casey works pretty good and is about as simple as you can get

Comment

Satin polyurethane and will be waterproof. If you like shiny use gloss poly.
              Use oil based. Do not use water based.
              How to video
              Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-04-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                True Oil from Birchwood Casey works pretty good and is about as simple as you can get
                X2

Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish, it is tried-and-true
                I mean tried-and-tru …

Comment

Tru oil is very good stuff. I prefer rubbing it in with my fingers vs using a cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                    Tru oil is very good stuff. I prefer rubbing it in with my fingers vs using a cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    X2, if you go with Tru oil do like bobc suggests. You will get better layers, coverage, etc. than using cloth.

Comment

Guess Tru oil it is! Will be shaping the stock over the next week or so then coat. Then sight her in for the season

Comment

I used pilkington brand of wood finish when I did wood rifle stocks for customers.

Never had any complaints and was always happy with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The times I did work on stocks years ago, I used Formby's Tong oil. It's easy to use and will give you a nice finish on walnut stocks. A old gunsmith recommended it to me many years ago.

Comment

I like the oil rubbed look, don’t care for the ultra shiny lacquered finish.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              I used pilkington brand of wood finish when I did wood rifle stocks for customers.

Never had any complaints and was always happy with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Pilkington's is a polyurethane formula with walnut stain mixed in. It works beautiful but is more expensive than plain oil based Minwax. It's all in the prep on any stock finish as to how it comes out. I like hand rubbed oil finishes on some stuff. Not so much on others. One more that hasn't been mentioned is nitrocelluose laquer. You can still buy it from Stewart MacDonald Guitar Supply Company. Fender and Gibson and other high end guitars use it. If you like the finish on those old solid body Fenders then it may be for you.
                              A lot of the knives I make use Tru-oil, some have Tung oil and some are just buffed with Caranuba. With oily woods I use oil finishes since it mixes and blends into the natural wood oil. Others that have no natural oil in the wood that I stabilize with cactus juice, I just dip in clear poly and never have to worry about the handle soaking up any water or blood.
                              Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-05-2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X