Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draw hunt points from cubed to quarted this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    Hag, Mule deer and ducks are all I'm applying for this year. Rest will be standby. I'm not even going to apply for pronghorn. Well your odds just went up 9/zillion for that pronghorn tag. I bet your almost giddy.
    No Squirrel? Hope we cross paths again.

Comment

I may apply for E postcard Squirrel. But since I drew last year I can't complain anymore...at least until I don't draw again. I think I'm going to complain about Mule Deer now. And of course, I will always complain about not drawing duck, even when I do.

Hope we cross paths again as well. That first week in October is when we will be in Wyoming. I may try standby for that same location we have hunted in the past for a later draw date.

Comment

I just put in for my usual hunts & places ..Keeping my fingers crossed but not counting or depending on the Draw ..

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
          I think some folks got their chain yanked with the rumor of loyalty points going from cubed to the fourth power.

Now has anyone else read how points are cubed under "Special Permit Categories", but not under "National Wildlife Refuge Hunts". That could be worth a call or email to TPWD.

The loyalty points page specifically notes no points are accrued for E-Postcard and USFS antlerless permits.
          Good catch friendo

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
            I've been told by somone with tpwd they are going to quad points this year, so if you have high points your odds just got even better
            TPWD website on Loyalty points still says they are cubing. Looks like the change to ^4 power is not happening this year.

Comment

I'm late to the party on this thread, after stumbling across the tpwd FAQ about the transition from preference points to loyalty points. For folks that agree with this change, I'm interested in your take. I'd like for TPWD to now provide transparency on realistic odds of getting drawn. Seems like other states that use this nth power method also share enough data that allows hunters to estimate with reasonably certainty how many years on average past drawn hunters applied before success. But I'm also a bit skeptical that TPWD would share that because it would reduce the average number of applications per category per hunter ($$) to one (why put in for 3 ADE hunts if your loyalty points don't even have a comma?). For example, if TPWD shared that it takes 10 loyalty points (10x10x10=1000), and I have 5 (5×5×5=125), I'll apply for one to get my point, but will no longer even think about "going for broke" until I'm close to the number. So for you lucky drawn hunters this year, sorry that you'll be waiting quite a while before getting drawn on that category again.
              Last edited by frogfuz; 10-18-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frogfuz View Post
                I'm late to the party on this thread, after stumbling across the tpwd FAQ about the transition from preference points to loyalty points. For folks that agree with this change, I'm interested in your take. I'd like for TPWD to now provide transparency on realistic odds of getting drawn. Seems like other states that use this nth power method also share enough data that allows hunters to estimate with reasonably certainty how many years on average past drawn hunters applied before success. But I'm also a bit skeptical that TPWD would share that because it would reduce the average number of applications per category per hunter ($$) to one (why put in for 3 ADE hunts if your loyalty points don't even have a comma?). For example, if TPWD shared that it takes 10 loyalty points (10x10x10=1000), and I have 5 (5×5×5=125), I'll apply for one to get my point, but will no longer even think about "going for broke" until I'm close to the number. So for you lucky drawn hunters this year, sorry that you'll be waiting quite a while before getting drawn on that category again.
                You still have a shot at getting drawn every year. Your odds just go up by the power of three each year. It's still a lottery and not a preference point system.

Comment

Working...
                X