Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it too late to plant a food plot in south texas? Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it too late to plant a food plot in south texas? Now?

Just picked up the place and really believe in food plots, think it may be too late already. Thoughts?

I would think you can grow stuff year round. My son lived down there and his garden never died...if that's any help

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
      Just picked up the place and really believe in food plots, think it may be too late already. Thoughts?
      I think getting rain would be a bigger deal than cold temperatures.

Comment

I agree, will give it a shot, thanks!

Comment

it's definitely not too late. Most the cold you get down here the fall plots can tolerate no problem. That being said our least rainy months are in front of us.

Comment

A little luck is involved. I had considered planting ryegrass yet or maybe a winter blend. The key on the cold hardy species is that they get sprouted and put on some growth before we have the next frost/freeze. Even the cold hardy plants can still get killed when they are in the one-two leaf stage. Then as they get more size, their cold tolerance increases.

Comment

Yep - see the rain chance went away this week. Will def keep an eye on that. Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
              X