Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2018-2019 Lake Whitney , Lake Aquilla hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bucks can get big out there, it just doesn't happen very often. With all the pressure now the good ones get taken out at 2 or 3 years old. There's still a few good bucks but from what I hear it was a lot better 20 years ago

Comment

Well I just had a doe come in fast being chased by a young buck. She came in before I could even react and caught wind of my tinks 69 wick and turned and ran up the woods. He made his way through a minute or so later, I couldn’t have drawn on him even if I’d wanted to they were both moving so fast. He literally got to about 5 yards from me before he caught her trail again. He saw me but couldn’t tell me what I was. He just snorted a little and ran about 5 yards away where he found her trail then followed her into the woods. It was fun no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by cstrey18 View Post
        The bucks can get big out there, it just doesn't happen very often. With all the pressure now the good ones get taken out at 2 or 3 years old. There's still a few good bucks but from what I hear it was a lot better 20 years ago
        The antler regulations have really helped both counties in general but on the public land I've not noticed it helping really, the best I ever saw the buck quality out there was the early 2000's a few years after they went archery only but its been a slow decline since. A few bigs will pop up here and there but its nothing like it used to be.

Comment

Definitely see antler restrictions being very helpful to the age class for sure. The few people Ive seen pulling deer out, are does. Until I joined this page, 2 years ago I didnt think bucks existed lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have noticed the antler restrictions helping the age structure on the private land I hunt but most of the better bucks still get taken at a young age. The antler restrictions are definitely a good thing but there's too much pressure for them to do much good on public land. And I know some guys out there will still shoot anything with antlers regardless of how wide it is

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              The antler regulations have really helped both counties in general but on the public land I've not noticed it helping really, the best I ever saw the buck quality out there was the early 2000's a few years after they went archery only but its been a slow decline since. A few bigs will pop up here and there but its nothing like it used to be.

Hey, we agree on something!

I think part of it is due to before AR, lots of folk would shoot the first buck they saw (most being young), leaving the bigger ones to grow bigger. There used to be some real monsters in there because a lot of people would burn their tags on young bucks. Now with AR, the "legal" bucks get taken out regardless of age, most not really getting a chance to really develope like they did before. So, like I said before, AR really hasn't helped the lands we hunt. But has helped the smaller private lands that adjoin each other across other areas. Sure, you may see more bucks (young ones). But it won't be bucks you can shoot.

Comment

Mmm ok

Comment

Just a bunch of wind and a coyote this afternoon. Hopefully morning will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamehoff View Post
                    Just a bunch of wind and a coyote this afternoon. Hopefully morning will be better.
                    I expect it will, dropping down to 35 for the first time in over a week should get them on their feet. Add that on top of rut and I expect tomorrow will be a good day to be in the woods. I plan on being there all day tomorrow. Hopefully my nice buck will make an appearance.

Comment

Morning was cold and windy and cows ran all the deer off. Moved to a different unit. Saw a big bodied buck, not sure how wide..it was running full bore across the field. I let it run since I have my buck tag for this county. Saw 5doe and 2 bucks in the evening. Too far for bow. Hopefully morning will be better. Last hunt for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Good luck to anyone else that’s out this morning.

Comment

Saw a few der but nothing close enough. Saw a guy dragging the big buck that flew past me yesterday.

Also, found a built in blind. Really nice and kinda of envious of the size. Who does that get reported to?

Comment

Originally posted by nonamehoff View Post
                            Saw a few der but nothing close enough. Saw a guy dragging the big buck that flew past me yesterday.

Also, found a built in blind. Really nice and kinda of envious of the size. Who does that get reported to?
                            Either the Ranger or COE office

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                              Good luck to anyone else that’s out this morning.
                              Same to you. Sitting a great spot but nothin yet. In it all day today. Saw one pullin into parking and one at a full sprint about 150 yds out on the walk in...

Comment

I’m done for a while. I got setup in a spot I hunted a lot last year. Sun comes up and I notice there’s a ladder stand two trees over, vacant just like 90% of the others I come across. Taking a week off for a TPWD drawn hunt. Not sure if I will head back here or hit Grapevine for a while. Y’all be safe out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X