easiest way to build an AR upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easiest way to build an AR upper

Im thinking of building a 300 hamr upper. I have various ARs but ive never built one and dont have any spare parts or the tools ect. What would be the easiest way to build one? Id have the but the barrel from wilson combat or shaw barrels since i dont know if many others are making barrels for that round.

can i but a complete PSA 11.5inch and then just have the barrel changed by a smith? Its not rush so maybe i can piece meal it as i go?

Opinions?
    Last edited by jaime1982; 02-01-2023, 07:13 PM.

Keep in mind a home build will never be worth the sum of its parts.

If you continue forward, I recommend Midwayusa for tools, parts, and assembly video.

Good luck and enjoy

Comment

Unless you plan to build several uppers you will never come out ahead building vs buying one already built.

And make sure you know what you are getting into with a boutique cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Unless you plan to build several uppers you will never come out ahead building vs buying one already built.

True, but you get exactly what you want when you build. A factory rifle can get expensive quick when you start swapping out parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with the above.

Don't overlook Primary Arms as a source of parts and tools. They are on the web but local to Houston as well.

Wander over to THF. There has been a thread on the 300 Ham'r since Bill Wilson started development. He frequently adds to the thread and answers questions.

Building ARs can be addictive and a great way to own different calibers. My 300 Ham'r is built with Wilson Combat parts exclusively. Earlier today, I saw he had blem stripped lowers for about half the price of a non-blem.

Good luck if you decide to fall down the "rabbit hole".

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
            Agree with the above.

Don't overlook Primary Arms as a source of parts and tools. They are on the web but local to Houston as well.

Wander over to THF. There has been a thread on the 300 Ham'r since Bill Wilson started development. He frequently adds to the thread and answers questions.

Building ARs can be addictive and a great way to own different calibers. My 300 Ham'r is built with Wilson Combat parts exclusively. Earlier today, I saw he had blem stripped lowers for about half the price of a non-blem.

Good luck if you decide to fall down the "rabbit hole".
            Thanks, ive read just about that whole thread. Im basically looking to build the 11.5inch version for an sbr upper. I have an 8inch 300 BO and a few others. It was the hamr or the 6.5G but i think i like the hammer better and it would be easier for me to swap without too much hardware changes. Another plus is i like the 30cal availability and grain sizes. I already have various 125-150 grain bullets. If i can get close to the posted velocity ild be happy.

130gr HHC
            16.2" 2474fps
            11.3" 2322fps
            8" 2164fps

150gr SST
            16.2" 2296fps
            11.3" 2163fps
            8" 2013fps

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              True, but you get exactly what you want when you build. A factory rifle can get expensive quick when you start swapping out parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So other than hand guard and barrel, there ain’t much else.

If you were to buy an upper from Wilson I bet they will have a configuration that you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                So other than hand guard and barrel, there ain’t much else.

If you were to buy an upper from Wilson I bet they will have a configuration that you want.

They do but they are dang proud of their uppers.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

loaded question... you have psa mass produced uppers , then you have shade tree mechanic built uppers , then you have serious built uppers ...

i'm the shade tree mechanic variant ... meaning i have a block, a vise , basic tools and i can take 2 pieces of metal and bolt them together, torque to specs ... line up a gas block , tighten all the screws , affix handguard , tighten it and it's done ... 30 minute job at best. ...

then you have the serious builds .. much like truing a bolt gun , a precision smith will true the receiver , then fit the barrel extension , possibly shim and or glue it in to make one true piece that is perfectly square and tight...

I build my uppers to shoot pigs , and for close up 200 yards or less so i really don't care to spend the time and efforts to make a long range ar build.

they build them to shoot long range competitions with extended range of fire ... as the gun warms up , their method make the gun more consistent and accuracy is maintained as the rapid round count goes up...

so you can go PSA and have a mass produced $50 barrel...

you can step up , buy a barrel that cost more than an entire psa upper and do it yourself of use a basic smith to just bolt it all together for you

or you can go all out and get one done with all the miking and truing of a similar custom built bolt gun method..

those are the options .. IMO.

Comment

AR build

If you continue forward, I recommend Midwayusa for tools, parts, and assembly video.

Good luck and enjoy[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Larry helped me build mine. A friend loaned me a few tools. I have heard that installing the handrail can be finicky depending on the brand, but was a nonissue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                      They do but they are dang proud of their uppers.

There’s usually a reason for that. They aren’t using junk parts.

Comment

I actually have a spare complete 5.56 11.5" upper that im not using. I think ill order the barrel n stuffs already.

Comment

ok, just ordered
                          Attached Files

Comment

I know you already ordered. But just to share my thoughts, I always prefer to build it MY way. I order every spring. Takedown pin. Gas block. Charging handle. Everything. The exact way I want it. And assemble it. No kits. Sometimes it takes months to find the part I want. But I have the exact gun I want in the end. Cheaper? No. Better? I think so. I’m just picky

Comment

Not sure why the pic Is so blurry lol. I just bought the barrel,brass,dies ect. I have a spare complete upper that I was going to convert over.

Comment

Working...
                              X