Most Amusing Animal Behavior Witnessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Amusing Animal Behavior Witnessed

The other thread, "effect of cattle on deer", got me thinking of another very memorable morning hunt.

I was hunting a very productive spot near a good sized pasture full of cattle. A coyote comes by and I put an arrow into just the right spot and he runs off but dies in the pasture. I think he even gave just a slight, short howl a few seconds before he was done.

Of course it was an exciting event by itself. As I started to calm down I noticed the cattle in the pasture. Every single animal was standing as still as possible, all looking at that dead coyote (or at least in his direction - really not sure how good of eyesight they have). I don't think a single one moved for a full minute or more.

After a little while, the cows closest to the dead coyote very slowly & with great caution, started to work their way towards him. It took the first cow quite a while to finally reach that dead coyote. And then there was a whole lot of sniffing and examining.

I think the most amusing part was that every animal in that field had to come see that coyote. More than one had to touch it with a hoof or give it just a light kick/tap with the hoof, which was followed by a very brief jerk away from the coyote, since I'm sure they half way thought he was getting back up.

They all took turns, but it probably took an hour for them all to check out that dead coyote. None could resist. But then, I imagine life in a pasture could be kind of boring.

Still, very amusing to see.

I seen the same thing in Oklahoma but it was wild horses checking out the yote .

Comment

Had a fat coon come by to eat corn. He gathered a big hand full and sat down on the ground in depression of a tree. Sitting there looked just like a hairy buda statue. Well suddenly he is choking on that corn. Re really making a ruckus and flopping around like crazy. I'm thinking this a real life teachable moment for this little fat fella. After what seemed like several minutes he regains his composure and waddles off.

Comment

From about 10' away, I watched a squirrel eat a practically featherless baby blue jay. Held it in his hands, would take a bite then rotate...just like it was eating corn on the cob.

It did this, while sitting in an oak tree.... I'm guessing all his stored acorns had soured.

Comment

This is Good! Following...

Comment

was sitting in the tree last fall and had a big ol woodpecker flying around the trees in my area and taking his find to what I assume to be his nest tree. well after about 30mins of this (you can imagine how the constant tapping was doing for my sanity) a decent size hawk shows up and perches himself on a rather low branch just watching this woodpecker and then he made a mad dash for the tree the woodpecker was returning to after she flew off from it. Hawk got about 3/4s of the way there before being almost jumped by the woodpecker they both crashed to the ground and had themselves a little fight on the ground and in the air. all in all the entire skirmish probably lasted a good 5mins. eventually that hawk headed out but not being followed by constant pecks from the victor. then a few moments later the he was back to doing woodpecker things. made for an interesting deerless morning.

Comment

Was stalking some pigs once and the herd jumped a doe up off her bed. A small piglet from the herd approached the doe carefully, until the doe and the young pig were nose to nose. Slowly, the doe lifted up a hoof and "BAP!!" busted that little pig right on top of the head. The pig squealed, spooked the herd and everybody left.

Comment

Shot a starling with my bb gun once at a feedlot my mom worked at when I was a kid. It fell in with the cows and they walked over to it and one picked it up in its mouth. Didn't eat it but it had it in its teeth.

Seen snakes strike prairie dogs after they got shot and rolled down the mound. Saw a badger eating dead prairie dogs after a day of prairie dog shooting. Saw a bobcat sneaking up on turkeys once,armadillos chasing each other and rattlesnakes fighting. You see some cool stuff out there every now and again.

Comment

I have this hummingbird coming into our hummingbird feeder right now. He's the only one. He tries to drink from the seam. He'll fly under the feeder trying to get to the seam then he'll land on the perch on the feeder and reach under the platform to try to get to the seam. In final desperation, he'll use the holes in the formed flowers. He's been doing this for weeks. I told my husband that bird's cheese isn't on the cracker. No wonder the other hummers won't come by.

Comment

I was at a fishing camp on the clear fork of the brazos. Around 12-1 am we decided towards the river and get after some hogs. When we made the turn to drop down to the water front there was a momma deer and her 2 fawns (super new still). The momma jetted across the road and stopped just out of the lights of the truck. Then one little fawn stumbled his way across the road and towards momma but the second one thought he would just hide so after he crossed in front of the truck he got behind this little tree maybe 3in in diameter which had another branch down at an angle to make a triangle more or less. This little deer put his back feet next to the branch that was straight up and down then leaned down to make the torso of his body the same angle as the branch that was leaning. Still to this day its probably one of the cutest things i have seen. The little fella 100% thought he was hidden behind those two branches and that he was being super sneaky and didn't move one muscle until we drove off. Very funny to watch!

Comment

I did catch a coyote stalking my turkey decoy one morning. At first I just thought it was amusing, then realized he was probably going to grab it and take it who knows where before he realizes he can't eat it. Had a shotgun that morning - Made sure I didn't loose that decoy.

I'm sure several have had that experience.

Another morning bow hunting, I had a group of about a dozen turkeys heading right to me. I was getting all positioned for a shot, just a little closer........and 3 coyotes came from behind me and busted right though the middle of those turkeys - half went one way half went the other. The coyotes never slowed & made no attempts to actually catch a turkey. They seemed totally content just to have messed with them - and ruin my chances of getting one. Coyotes just kept on trotting away and I still have never taken a turkey with a bow!

At least one of the coyotes could have offered a shot, but no.

Comment

I was sitting in a bow blind on my old Putnam lease when at dawn two coyote pups popped out of the brush about 40 yards away. I really enjoyed watching through my binos as they did the play-fight routine and rolled around in the grass. Then mama appeared with a freshly caught and still half-alive rat in her mouth. She flipped it onto the ground and they went nuts, taking turns doing that front paws pounce move on it. I sure would have loved to have had a video camera

Comment

In the spring years ago we saw a coyote come hauling out of the pasture and down the dirt road we were on. When he came out he was looking over his shoulder and about 5 seconds later out came a doe and she was mad. This coyote is really leaving a trail of dirt as he heads down the road looking over his shoulder and is actually putting a little distance between them, when all of a sudden I guess a pain hits him. Of all the things he almost comes to a stop and jackknives to drop a #2 all while looking over his shoulder in a panic. The doe is almost on him and he is hunkered down trying to run when the doe bowls him over at full speed, man did the ��and fur fly. The doe spun around for another go but the coyote was done and leaving a trail going the other way.

Comment

Two years ago in the national forest I was set up at the base of a tree. It was a last minute decision when light started coming on fast before I could get to my planned spot, really didn't expect to see anything. Mid way through the morning a bobcat comes sliding in trying to stalk a squirrel behind me. He ended up squatted down 10 yards from me for at least 20 minutes. He never saw me and I never thought about trying to kill him.

Comment

While fishing the Snake River, my brothers and I watched a bald eagle swoop back and forth at an Osprey that had just grabbed a white fish and was perched 150+ feet up in a tree. The eagle went at him 6 or 7 times before the Osprey finally surrendered the fish and flew off; the eagle grabbed that fish before it smacked back onto the water.

OP reminded me of last year- predator hunting with a buddy and we shot a yote. Not 2 minutes later a roadrunner came out and started messing with and pecking on it.

Porcupine at the very top of a tall pecan tree on a windy day. He'd stretch his arm out and wait for the wind to blow him towards the next closest branch holding ripe pecans. Can't believe the branch/twig he was on didn't snap.

Comment

Working...
                              X