Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    **** Rob. You get'n old. Glad I am staying young
    If I shave the beard off - I stop looking like a Cajun LMAO!

Get your butt out there with us James!

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
      What a haul! Just shared these pics with my pops and he wants us to go badly. Wish I had seen this thread when y’all were scheduling. Is this only an annual trip y’all do or will you go again later in 2020?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will do another in 2020 for sure

Comment

I occasionally work on Perdido (the deepest floating platform in the world in 8000' of water). Y'all were a long ways out!!!

Comment

Nice haul guys.

Comment

Like BAND OF BROTHERS on a TUNA KILLING TRIP

Consider myself lucky to know and fish beside guys like Doug, Glen, Rob, captain, my bro
            Epic Trip with best guys you’ll ever meet. What a freaking blast
            Looking forward to next time!

Comment

Never seen a cubera in Texas. I missed what it hit. Bait or jig?

Comment

What setup are y'all typically using for Avet reels and rods?

Comment

Welcome on Yuppy. You killed it on the rail this trip. I still wanted to see you throw that flyer and see if it floated
                  Last edited by glen; 01-02-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

What a trip. Nice haul

Comment

I guess better late than never but this is my first day off since the trip. I got back to my house that Sunday afternoon and spent till midnight processing fish. The next day I left for the lease and spent a week down there and then worked shift so I'm still trying to recover.

I've got some offshore experience but this was the first time I'd gone after tuna. When they say tuna are powerhouses they weren't kidding. I've never hooked on to a fish that had so much power for it's size. My biggest fish was about 70lbs and it still took off screaming with 20lbs of drag and led me on a merry chase around the boat. One instant it was playing nice and then all of a sudden it shot towards the stern of the boat and back up the other side in what seemed like just a few seconds. I don't know how many lines we crossed but by the time Captain Tim got me to the other side my line looked like a Christmas tree with all the different colored braided lines around it and I even had a line tangled around my feet. To make things even more comical I didn't realize my rod gimbal could jam on my belt so when handing off the rod to Tim so he could thread it through the lines my fighting belt was still hanging off the end of it. Speaking of Tim, that man is a wizard and both him and his sister are the hardest working hands I've ever seen. That was definitely the most exciting catch for me. I landed 3 other yellowfins but they were at a more sedate pace. I also caught a mess of vermilion snapper and hooked into something big that broke my double drop line.

I'm terrible with names so I won't try to list everyone I met but it was a great group that was helpful and friendly. There was a ton of great food and I fully expected to gain 5-10lbs during the trip but I ended up losing weight but not for my lack of trying. The weather was great with seas being light most of the trip. I've never been seasick in my life but I was chumming the waters this trip. I even had a touch of vertigo for a few day after the trip so next time I'll be prepared. So now onto the lessons I learned this trip.

I bought some new gear before the trip and used only about 1/8 of the lures I took. I did invest in a lightweight 2 speed setup with multicolored braid for jigging. The low speed really helped winching the fish up at the rail and being able to see what depth I was at with the marked line let me put a hurt on the snapper. After seeing the boat rods I would have worn my self out with them.

I'm 6'2" 170lbs and 15-20lbs of drag was all I could do without the rail. Never had any issues with my reeling arm, it was the leverage arm that wanted to give out.

Keep the beard away from the reel.

Get a seasickness prescription.

I teamed up with the Victoria crew for fish processing so I wouldn't have to put fish in the back of my SUV. You can see Ron's pics of what the back of the pickup looked like. We all jumped in cleaning and I left the tuna to the experts. Between Doug and I, we filleted and skinned 180 snapper. Next time I'm bringing more knives, my sharpening steel was getting a workout.

Dedicated sleeping bag, it's still has a light fishy smell.

Comment

For those that wanted my pecan pie, fudge, and pecan brittle recipes.

pecan pie https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=755011

pecan brittle https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=755015

fudge https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=755024

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post

Nice, thank you brother!

Comment

Processed a few more images from Doug's camera of our 2019-2020 kick off tuna trip.

Comment

Good times
                              Can’t wait until our next adventure

Comment

Glen your boy is growing up. Looks like y'all had a blast.

Comment

Working...
                                X