Fighting a City of HOUSTON Parking Ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting a City of HOUSTON Parking Ticket

So at 43 years of age I got my first parking ticket on the streets of downtown Houston. I parked in a metered spot, payed my dues, and placed the ticket on my dash. Came out after the Astros game and had a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot. After looking at the signs I can kinda of see the point, but there was no markings on the pavement.

The fine is $500 for a honest mistake. I was no where near where any handicapped person would have needed a spot.

Do I have any chance of fighting this or having the fine reduced?

Any help is appreciated.

If it’s marked and your not handicap then no you don’t have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
      If it’s marked and your not handicap then no you don’t have a chance.
      There was a sign above the meter sign which was a third of the way in the parking spot I was in. Nothing on the pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
        There was a sign above the meter sign which was a third of the way in the parking spot I was in. Nothing on the pavement.
        There doesn’t need to be any markings on the pavement. The sign is what dedicates the spot as privileged parking and enforceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
          I was no where near where any handicapped person would have needed a spot.

Im curious how you determined a handicapped person didn’t need this spot, but you did?

Guess it wasn’t right in front of a business so you made that determination? Do you have any pics of the signs that showed you parked in handicapped parking?

You said, “after looking at the signs I can kinda see the point.” So there was more than one sign? You also admitted you made a mistake. What exactly is your reason and defense for fighting this ticket?
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-06-2021, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you made an honest mistake. You can try and fight it, or just learn your lesson and move on.

I had the same issue back home. I'd not lived there in 10 years at this point. Totally forgot you can't park within 100' of a fire hydrant in either direction. Well I did, and got a ticket. Called the police station and the court, told them hey, I just honestly forgot, I wasn't blocking access, is there any way to dismiss the ticket. They told me to pound sand.

At the end of the day, what is your time worth?

Comment

You did it so just pay the fine. If you were handicapped and needed a place to park you might see it different.
              Should not matter if on purpose or mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by gb22250 View Post
                There doesn’t need to be any markings on the pavement. The sign is what dedicates the spot as privileged parking and enforceable.

Incorrect. Per ada a handicap spot must be marked on the pavement and have a sign. Signs are required because pavement markings can wear off easily at times.

OP is the pavement isn’t marked or there isn’t a sign, you may have a chance. Pictures will be your only from if proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With my experience if you show up to court and are respectful, plead your case and BE HONEST… the Judge may reduce. I doubt he will throw it out because Handicap Parking is really important. I’d print out pictures of the spot to provide for him/her to show the reason for the mistake (no pavement markings).

Comment

Pay up. I know after this incident you will never park handicapped again. Lesson learned.

Comment

Pics of the curb too, presents of an ADA ramp makes it obvious it is intended for H-cap use.

Comment

What ticket......?
                        Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                        Incorrect. Per ada a handicap spot must be marked on the pavement and have a sign. Signs are required because pavement markings can wear off easily at times.

OP is the pavement isn’t marked or there isn’t a sign, you may have a chance. Pictures will be your only from if proof

And this

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pm inbound. This is simple.....................

Comment

Help him out Johnny.

And OP, ignore all the bashers. Honest mistakes happen. It sure doesn't hurt to call and ask for a reduced ticket. Get with the right person and say you don't want to bog down the judge/court with another case and will just pay now if they reduce.

Comment

Hire Nico laHood.

Comment

Working...
                              X