Buying property with oil/gas wells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying property with oil/gas wells?

Experiences? We found a 100ac place that we love the look of, price is right...but it has a set of tanks (natural gas i guess?). Rusk county if that matters. The ones on the property appear to be inactive and im trying to get hold of the gas company to see if they will tell me. There is an easement down one corner of the property to access another set of tanks (and i guess a pump because you can hear it pumping when you get near it) that is active on neighbors property. Id also like to see how often they access that one. We saw lots of deer and pig tracks so im guessing it doesnt bother them. Cant hear or see the tanks from where our camp and eventual home will be. No mineral rights are conveyed. Just wanted to see what yall experiences were with this.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Those deer get used to it. Biggest deer I’ve killed in East Texas was 80 yards off a active well location.

Comment

If it didn't have all that stuff on it, you wouldn't be able to afford it. Also hard to buy a place anymore, that actually comes with minerals.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
        If it didn't have all that stuff on it, you wouldn't be able to afford it. Also hard to buy a place anymore, that actually comes with minerals.
        That is for sure. Im not actually worried about how it affects wildlife. I guess my question is more geared toward are there usually many issues associated with having them coming onto the property weekly/monthly/whatever? Increase in thefts as theyre seeing all your stuff? Chances of adding more wells since theres obviously some oil/gas under the property?

Comment

My father in law has a couple places with tanks on them. They were placed in the last 10 years. They built nice roads to the tanks and I don’t believe they come out very often and he has never mentioned any negatives

Comment

Alot of times they come on the property daily. We have a good relationship with our pumpers and they actually are our eyes in the field when we aren't there. Get to know the pumper. Kill them with kindness and it will go a long way. I can honestly say that it has not been a negative for us.

Comment

Not sure if the dynamic would change being in ETX. But every property I've leased, or buddies ranches in west texas have oil easements on them. No issues whatsoever. Obviously it's more common out there.

Comment

I wouldn’t necessarily worry about the tanks. I’d worry if they might drill a well in the future next to your house. You need to have any contract reviewed by a real estate attorney.

Comment

It all depends on the company and the individual. We have had some great companies on our place that would maintain great road ways to their leases as well as do a few roads for us that needed to be done and help me build fence or whatever. Then there are the bad which we have had on ours for the last 7ish years.. they don’t do a thing and I have to fight them constantly to fix their roads, pick up there trash, etc. as far as wildlife activity goes I haven’t noticed it bother them. I’ve killed them from tanks on a location to under wind turbines.

Comment

The negative if you don't have any mineral rights is as stated above. They can come in & drill whenever & wherever they want. Usually from what I have heard is as long as you aren't an azz to them they will try to work with you.

Comment

I deal with it on about every place I own and lease. I’d rather have homeless squatters cooking meth than an oil company on anything I use. The horror stories I could tell would take a year of non stop typing

Comment

I'd be concerned about the equipment getting abandoned if the company ever goes bankrupt and the wells are uneconomic. I've seen it happen before. I'm not sure if the state includes tank removal in their orphan well plugging program. Just something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                          I'd be concerned about the equipment getting abandoned if the company ever goes bankrupt and the wells are uneconomic. I've seen it happen before. I'm not sure if the state includes tank removal in their orphan well plugging program. Just something to consider.
                          Never done anything for us. I could keep em busy for the next 20 years

Comment

Easy way to maintain roads at the oil company's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              I wouldn’t necessarily worry about the tanks. I’d worry if they might drill a well in the future next to your house. You need to have any contract reviewed by a real estate attorney.
                              This is spot on! In essence there is a contract to extract minerals on the property. The only thing that will change on that contract is royalty ownership. It may be quiet now, but as market conditions change, activity could drastically change.

Comment

Working...
                              X