No announcement yet.

Any alternatives to AirB&B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an owner, Airbnb was not for us. We do almost all of our bookings on VRBO now. After taking 28 years in biz here at Lake Fork, it has simplified things and freed up quite a bit of our time to do other things. We really like it.

Comment

Just look at the fees before you book. We dont even look at nightly- We just got finished for 2 months and we have a nightly budget which includes the fees. If you have someplece you like and know owners just go direct

Comment

I was looking at a place on VRBO and the cleaning fee was 265, the nightly rate was only 249

Comment

Yea the only way to cut out some of the fees is you have to have a relationship with the owner and only way to do that is either know someone that stayed there and have their contact info or you stayed there yourself. Had a place in Kansas for hunting and after the first year I got to know the owner and just called her when I needed it. It was only $20 a night. Unfortunately she just sold the place and now I'm back to square one.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Just asking because these "cleaning and service" fees are insane. We use to use airb&b all the time but the last 2 years or so I guess people are taking advantage the the "cleaning and service" fees to pocket more money? Been looking to book for a upcoming trip and 70-80% of the comes are charging room fees, for example, around 150$ per night and then a cleaning fee of 150-200$ and service fee of another 75$. So the trip is advertised for 300$ plus HOT but then checkout price turns into 600$+!

So just curious if anyone has found any newer alternatives (VRBO seems to be similar pricing/set up and lots of the same places are on both apps) or if its back to using hotels. Also, for those that own AirB&B's, do you guys get to pocket all the fee's or how does that work? (curiosity question)
            What gets me is that in addition to those ridiculous cleaning fees, most hosts require you to clean their entire place before you leave: take bedding off and put it in the washer, take out trash, do the dishes, sweep, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Kev View Post
              What gets me is that in addition to those ridiculous cleaning fees, most hosts require you to clean their entire place before you leave: take bedding off and put it in the washer, take out trash, do the dishes, sweep, etc...
              We have an AirBnB and we require this but we only charge $100. I would hardly call what you described as cleaning the whole place.

AirBnB's don't require you to sweep, mop, clean/disinfect counter tops, clean toilets/showers/tubs/fridge, put sheets back on beds, wash and fold towels, you get my point.

Maid service is not cheap for short term rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                As an owner, Airbnb was not for us. We do almost all of our bookings on VRBO now. After taking 28 years in biz here at Lake Fork, it has simplified things and freed up quite a bit of our time to do other things. We really like it.
                I have 3 Vacations rentals in Galveston, VRBO is much better to deal with than AIRBNB. BTW we charge exactly what our cleaning crew charges us.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  I have 3 Vacations rentals in Galveston, VRBO is much better to deal with than AIRBNB. BTW we charge exactly what our cleaning crew charges us.
                  I def see owners around me trying to pay the cleaning crews a lot less. But hey I guess that's just business.

Comment

We usually stay a week at a time so cleaning fee is way less per night and we get weekly rates. If we are just staying a night or two we often use hotels. You can also finds cabins that are nice

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                      I also use taxi cabs again instead of uber crap

AirBNB sucks but man taxi cabs are the worst. I’ll take an Uber any time over taxis. The amount of bs I’ve dealt with in a Taxi is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        We have an AirBnB and we require this but we only charge $100. I would hardly call what you described as cleaning the whole place.

AirBnB's don't require you to sweep, mop, clean/disinfect counter tops, clean toilets/showers/tubs/fridge, put sheets back on beds, wash and fold towels, you get my point.

Maid service is not cheap for short term rentals.

Then there are guests that leave the place dirty, break minor thinds and claim they didn't..and on and on.

Sounds like I need to up my cleaning fee! I think we only charge $50.

IMO the fees charged to renters and owners by AirBnB are high though.

Comment

Yep it sucks having to dig around every listing to sniff out all the fees and what the real nightly rate is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have some rental cottages and we have to charge $100 cleaning fee just to get the cleaning people to come out there, we do not pocket anything off it. Then there are the taxes and fees that both AIRBNB and VRBO charge us.

Comment

Working...
                            X