Deer Season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Season 2021-2022

Are you ready? Guns sighted-in, stands set, camp situated, feeders, if used, filled, cameras out, again, if used?

My bow hunting days are about over, getting older and not really wanting to practice, and practice, and, oh, practice. I've killed many deer and Pigs over the year with bow and crossbow, and it sure is hot during that time of the year.

A couple of months ago I bought a Christensen Arms 556, slapped a Vortex PST 1-6x24 on it to play around a shoot, and I've found that even with my suppressor, it's still a very light gun. I've also found that it's very accurate. Now wishing I had never let my Arlington Sportsman Club membership expire.

I have tons of reloading supplies for 223, and also checked last night and found I have almost 1000 rounds of ammo for 223/556. Even have 150 rounds of Hornady 55 grain SP and 40 rounds of 64 grain Winchester EXP.

After years and years of shooting, and taking many animals over a 50 year span, I am very particular on what I shoot and shot placement. Heck, I now wish over the years I had kept several rifles. I am definitely going to hunt deer with this gun, probably shooting the Winchester this year, but might load up some 64 grain Power Points that I found in my 223 supplies. Shots will be kept 150 yards or less, but mostly 100 yards or less.

Oh! And I will definitely be shootings Pigs, hopefully a lot of Pigs, this year. This pig was shot last week at about 150 yards, 3pm with Temps in high 90's, with a 55 FMJ. Dropped it, went to squealing and was barely kicking when I rolled up on my ATV.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Got feeders filled this past weekend, still gotta do some maintenance on blinds, get cameras out, mow trails, and spray for wasps in the next week or two. Not to mention getting a fall food plot planted. Always something that needs done lol!

Comment

I'm kinda with you. I haven't bowhunted in a couple of years. I can't seem to get motivated to practice or hunt in the HOT!!! However, I am mentally ready for the season to get started. My AR stays sighted in with 75 grain Speer Gold dot ammo and I've got a ton of 50 grain Nosler BT's for my CZ .223. My Barret 6.5 Swede is probably still sighted in with 130 gr. Scirocco handloads and my 6.5 PRC with 130 gr. Accubonds is probably ready as well. Just need to find some cooler weather to confirm zero.

I got several boxes of 257 Roberts loaded up as well. Both 100 grain Nosler BT's and 90 grain Barnes X bullets. Loaded up 50 .270 130 grain Speer Grand Slams the other day. Now I need to load up some 50 grain x bullets for my wife's 22/250 and she'll be set.

I got a ton of ammo ready in nearly every caliber including 7 RSAUM and 7 Mag. I just need cool weather and a target.

Headed to the lease this weekend. Even though it's going to be oppressively hot, I still enjoy going. I'll fill a feeder or two and fix a box blind that needs repair. I'll burn a little meat and sip a little whiskey. Life is good!

Comment

filled up the feeders and adjusted timers for the start of season. Did see two nice bucks today driving into the place.

Can't wait to get in the bow stand. Unlike most, I'll only hunt whitetails with a bow, unless I get a chance to hunt a property that isn't set up for bowhunting.

Comment

We feed and run cameras year round. Going to top off feeders and some stand maintenance this weekend for the last time before season. I love bow hunting but may be an only morning hunter this year and see how that goes. Gets dang hot in the evenings.

Comment

Dfwpi

Look into the 77gr TMK for your 5.56. Lots of good info on the link below
            DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

Comment

Working...
            X