Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
    Dos Equis for me
    I love XX too. It was just easier to spell Tecate and I still spelled it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      My first construction project in downtown Austin completely changed my view towards the homeless. I use to have sympathy and think how unfortunate it was that these people were in such a situation. I quickly found out this was the exact life they wanted to live. Further, they were the most disrespectful, straight up nasty individuals that I ever came across. I hate to compartmentalize that group as a whole, but 99% were that way. I don't give a penny to them. I personally watched a guy on the corner near the job get a few handouts, then walk over to the drug dealer nearby and to get his fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My exact experience. Worked on 45 in downtown by UH. It was terrible, especially working nights down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        Hail no
        I did give a guy a bottle of water one time because it was a hot day and he was out there on a corner with a dog, no shade. He didn’t act too appreciative.
        2 weeks ago I saw a little old lady on the corner of Mason Rd and I-10 get out of her car at a red light and set 3 bottles of water and some bananna's next to a guy who was holding a sign on the corner. He smiled and appeared to say thank you. When she drove off he kicked them all out into the street.

Comment

If I have cash (which I usually do not) I will give them money, it is not my job to inspect what they do with the money, only to do a good dead. I hope they get food or whatever else they might need to help their situation but I can not be concerned with how they spend it. My job is to do what is right, if my daughter is in the car and she sees the homeless we have to drive to McDonalds and get them all happy meals and she will hand them out the window.

Comment

Generally no. But I had one lady approach me in a Walmart saying her grandkids needed food. I offered to take her in and buy some groceries. She got bread, peanut butter, water and juice. That’s it. I offered to get some lunch meat, she said they didn’t have a refrigerator and it would go bad. And she was truly grateful for my generosity.

Week before lst had a guy approach me telling me he was cold. Offered to take him to the store and buy a new coat, but I’d keep the tags and receipt. He quickly declined.

Comment

I just ate peanut butter cheese crackers in front of one now at the red light at Hwy 6. She looked like she hasn’t missed many meals, but was holding a sign that said need money for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will give them food if that's what they want. But I will buy it. I won't give them any money.

Comment

Nope, but I'll give them food or drinks. Had a lady over Christmas time with her young baby stop me in the kroger parking lot that she needed money for milk and diapers and formula, etc. I told her great, lets go in the store together and I'll buy her whatever she needs. She said no, just wanted cash. We went back and forth a couple minutes and she told me to F off and went to go push her story on someone else

Comment

I give as God guides me. If that means the man at the corner, so be it.

Far more often I’ll feed them, but have handed out plenty of God’s money.

Comment

I was basically homeless for 7 months after my house burned. I stayed at numerous places and friends houses. Never asked for a handout, made it back to work after taking about a week off to try and settle everything. I know what it is like not to have a home to go to, but I also know there is a right way and wrong way to get help, and standing on the street corner begging for money is not the right way. The Salvation Army had toiletry supplies and other supplies any person needs to survive, i know from experience.

With all that being said NO I do not give to beggers on street corners, I offer jobs, food, water but never cash.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        My first construction project in downtown Austin completely changed my view towards the homeless. I use to have sympathy and think how unfortunate it was that these people were in such a situation. I quickly found out this was the exact life they wanted to live. Further, they were the most disrespectful, straight up nasty individuals that I ever came across. I hate to compartmentalize that group as a whole, but 99% were that way. I don't give a penny to them. I personally watched a guy on the corner near the job get a few handouts, then walk over to the drug dealer nearby and to get his fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        Then don’t.

Comment

No and no.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                            I give as God guides me. If that means the man at the corner, so be it.

Far more often I’ll feed them, but have handed out plenty of God’s money.

This ^^^^

If it touches my heart I will. I let God sort out the bad ones .

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.
                              Despite the fact that I've totally disagreed with several of your other post lately, this is well said and I totally agree. The last time I gave money to someone I sat and watched them go across the street to buy a pack of cigarettes and an Old English. That's when I realized that I would have helped that guy out more by NOT giving him the money. The means are out there for people who truly need and want the help.

Comment

Silver and gold have I none...but what i do share is infinitely more valuable...

Comment

Working...
                                X