• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobc View Post
    [/U]

Yes I do. That show was nuts.
    Bumfights! Wow. Flashback.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
      A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.
      This exactly.

Comment

The area I worked in, in Houston was not the greatest. Helped a few out here and there before. Have given money to some that fell on hard luck. Nothing to panhandlers and beggars at gas stations.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgyU0LyWZ9M&t=6s"]You Can’t Con a Con Artist If You’re Also a Con Artist - Key & Peele - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I never carry cash

Comment

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                This exactly.
                To characterize people who give to others as doing so for their own glory is sad. And WAY OFF BASE from the Christian perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                  To characterize people who give to others as doing so for their own glory is sad. And WAY OFF BASE from the Christian perspective.
                  Please explain. I quoted someone else who said to give to organizations that help the homeless.

Comment

Only if the Holy Spirit moves me. I have a story but most of you won't believe it.

Comment

I have given food but never money. I pulled up to get gas one time and a guy approached me. He said his car died and needed a new battery. Said he was about $20 short on cash for a new one. As he was telling me this he pointed at a car in the parking lot that looked older, but decent. I told him to take the battery out and I would take him to the parts store just up the road and pay for the battery. He declined and said he did not want to take up my time. If I just had a few dollars to get him closer to what he needed that would be fine. We went back in forth for a minute or 2 because i was not giving this guy money. About then a guy comes out of the store and gets in the car he pointed to and said was his and drove away. He just turned around and walked off. LOL

Comment

Nope! NEVER!

Comment

I give to United Way. Hopefully that helps keep some from begging.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                            Only if the Holy Spirit moves me. I have a story but most of you won't believe it.
                            Challenge accepted! Let’s hear it purdy please

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              The people I hate are the ones at gas stations needing money to get somewhere. Every single time I tell well pull around and fill your tank up, every single time they just want cash. I never give any of them cash. I’ve offered food, water, etc. never had a taker. One time I offered one a cold beer and they snagged it up quick. Lol

There was a bum that lived under the river bridge when I was in high school. Met him when we were putting them boat in. We’d trade him food and cash for beer, so they can be helpful. Lol

One other time had a bum ask me for a ride, he smelled bad and I wouldn’t let him ride in the truck. Told him to hop in the back, he wouldn’t do it.

This thread also got me thinking about bum fights. Any of y’all remember that?
                              I did have a lady ask me for gas one time at a station. She said her boyfriend beat her and she was trying to get away from him. She had bruises on her arms and a car full of clothes. She was asking if I could put $5 of gas in her car and that would get her to a relatives house. For some reason I truly felt for this woman. When I put my card in the pump and pumped her small car full of gas and she noticed she started crying and thanking me. I dont mean just whimpering crying, I mean their where people 3 pumps over looking over. I told her she was welcome and she hugged me and thanked me again before we parted.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                                Please explain. I quoted someone else who said to give to organizations that help the homeless.
                                It was his statement, not yours. Sorry. Brief quote below.

This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better,

Comment

Working...
                                X