No announcement yet.

Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t support their addictions and I’ve watch them too many times throw food on the ground.

Comment

Most of the time I just walk / drive away, but every now and then I heard God telling me to help that person. A lot of times it isn't money that I feel led to give - it is water or food.

Comment

It is a tough situation for sure. I guess I try to size up the individual I encounter and I make my decision based upon my gut feeling on the individual/s. I was headed to the gun range last Saturday with my 31 yr old son, we bought three breakfast Tacos but were full on two. I gave a guy at a light the third Taco. He looked like he needed it and he was extremely appreciative and went over an sat down and started chowing down. I would have probably thrown it in the trash. No harm no foul. Many of us are four paychecks away from being in a really bad place very fast. I am not too nice to the addicts and the Alcoholic's, as they put themselves in that situation. I will buy an extra meal deal occasionally if I see someone when I am grabbing lunch but luckily, I avoid going into Austin like the Plague!

Comment

I've purchased food or drinks before and offered it to them. I've given some spare change before also. I do not do either regularly, just depends on the situation.

Comment

As some have stated above, I don't normally give to them but when I feel God speaking to me about it I do. There was a homeless lady that came into whataburger and counted her change and got a bite and some water and sat down to eat not far from my wife and I. The whole time I ate I kept getting a feeling to help out this lady. She never ask anyone for help just sat there with her head down. As we were finishing our food my wife said I have been thinking about that lady the whole time we have been eating and I didn't say anything to her previously. I knew then God was talking to both of us. I walked to the counter and bought a $20 gift card. When the lady went to hand it to me I ask her to go give it to the homeless woman and not even point out who purchased it. We walked out and know we did the right thing that day. If I was to give to everyone I would be broke or homeless but I have no issues If I feel led to give.

Comment

I will not give money but will buy a meal if they appear authentic. This has occurred a couple of times during my travels. Have I been scammed out of a meal, it’s possible but if I can help a man when I truly believe that he needs my help, I will.

Comment

Never money, but have bought food, given water, etc. In smaller towns I've given money if I knew they weren't a regular but no way in Houston.

Comment

I believe we're all just a couple bad decisions away from being homeless. If I'm led to help I will.

Comment

I make a habit of never rewarding bad behavior. The old saying that water seeks its own level applies here.

-john

Comment

The people I hate are the ones at gas stations needing money to get somewhere. Every single time I tell well pull around and fill your tank up, every single time they just want cash. I never give any of them cash. I’ve offered food, water, etc. never had a taker. One time I offered one a cold beer and they snagged it up quick. Lol

There was a bum that lived under the river bridge when I was in high school. Met him when we were putting them boat in. We’d trade him food and cash for beer, so they can be helpful. Lol

One other time had a bum ask me for a ride, he smelled bad and I wouldn’t let him ride in the truck. Told him to hop in the back, he wouldn’t do it.

This thread also got me thinking about bum fights. Any of y’all remember that?
                      Last edited by panhandlehunter; 01-24-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Do you give to beggars?

Check this book out before you give a donation to an organization that claims to help the homeless. People are giving more than ever and the problem is worse than ever.

Many homeless charities aren’t helping anyone. They’re only sustaining homeless and ultimately making the problem worse.

Public service is a way of life for Americans; giving is a part of our national character. But compassionate instincts and generous spirits aren’t enough, says veteran urban activist Robert D. Lupton. In this groundbreaking guide, he reveals the disturbing truth about charity: all too much of it has become toxic, devastating to the very people it’s meant to help. In his four decades of urban ministry, Lupton has experienced firsthand how our good intentions can have unintended, dire consequences. Our free food and clothing distribution encourages ever-growing handout lines, diminishing the dignity of the poor while increasing their dependency. We converge on inner-city neighborhoods to plant flowers and pick up trash, battering the pride of residents who have the capacity (and responsibility) to beautify their own environment. We fly off on mission trips to poverty-stricken villages, hearts full of pity and suitcases bulging with giveaways—trips that one Nicaraguan leader describes as effective only in “turning my people into beggars.” In Toxic Charity, Lupton urges individuals, churches, and organizations to step away from these spontaneous, often destructive acts of compassion toward thoughtful paths to community development. He delivers proven strategies for moving from toxic charity to transformative charity. Proposing a powerful “Oath for Compassionate Service” and spotlighting real-life examples of people serving not just with their hearts but with proven strategies and tested tactics, Lupton offers all the tools and inspiration we need to develop healthy, community-driven programs that produce deep, measurable, and lasting change. Everyone who volunteers or donates to charity needs to wrestle with this book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by kyle1974; 01-24-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

In college I had an acquaintance I ended up living with for a year. He had some hobo friends that would ride the rails. They'd come by occasionally and I'd hear the stories and see it in action sometimes.

Go beg for some money and then buy the cheapest handle of vodka and get blitzed. .

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            The people I hate are the ones at gas stations needing money to get somewhere. Every single time I tell well pull around and fill your tank up, every single time they just want cash. I never give any of them cash. I’ve offered food, water, etc. never had a taker. One time I offered one a cold beer and they snagged it up quick. Lol

There was a bum that lived under the river bridge when I was in high school. Met him when we were putting them boat in. We’d trade him food and cash for beer, so they can be helpful. Lol

One other time had a bum ask me for a ride, he smelled bad and I wouldn’t let him ride in the truck. Told him to hop in the back, he wouldn’t do it.

This thread also got me thinking about bum fights. Any of y’all remember that?

Yes I do. That show was nuts.

Comment

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                                As some have stated above, I don't normally give to them but when I feel God speaking to me about it I do. There was a homeless lady that came into whataburger and counted her change and got a bite and some water and sat down to eat not far from my wife and I. The whole time I ate I kept getting a feeling to help out this lady. She never ask anyone for help just sat there with her head down. As we were finishing our food my wife said I have been thinking about that lady the whole time we have been eating and I didn't say anything to her previously. I knew then God was talking to both of us. I walked to the counter and bought a $20 gift card. When the lady went to hand it to me I ask her to go give it to the homeless woman and not even point out who purchased it. We walked out and know we did the right thing that day. If I was to give to everyone I would be broke or homeless but I have no issues If I feel led to give.

Good for y’all for helping her. Anonymous is the way it’s supposed to be whenever possible.

Don’t pray in the streets like the Pharisees

Comment

Working...
                                X