I guess I'm the bicycle guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm the bicycle guy.

It's kind of amazing and sad at the same time. Since Christmas I have aired up the tires on 8 bicycles. Evidently Santa doesn't own a compressor. Yesterday I had a dad knock on the door and ask me if I could assemble his kids bike. They ordered it on line and it came unassembled. He doesn't own any tools and has no idea how to put a bike together. He did offer to pay me, but I didn't accept. The kid did stay with me and tried to help and we actually had a good time doing it. It has amazed me at how many folks don't own some kind of air pump or compressor and have zero skills for these things.

I understand not having an air compressor but no tools to put a bike together?? really??

Comment

I thought you were going to talk about your poaching experiences in Colorado from the other thread.

But, well done! It’s amazing how distances so many people are now from manual labor.

Comment

I have done a good job of not letting my neighbors into my tools. Just the old dude on the corner........

Comment

This is good to know Randy. I'm bringing my 5 bikes (two mnt and 3 road) over today so you can do some maintenance on them.

Just trying to help a brother out.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            This is good to know Randy. I'm bringing my 5 bikes (two mnt and 3 road) over today so you can do some maintenance on them.

I’m bringing my crappie rods and fish baskets over so Mike can catch me some slabs. 😁😀

Comment

Sounds like you have a new hobby
              Way to use those skills to put a smile on a kids face
              I have a neighbor that occasionally borrows my air compressor. In return I’ve asked to use his wet vac. At least he knows how to use the air compressor & I know how to use his wet vac

Comment

Man I was so relieved to see that the "bicycle guy" was not a Goldeneagle picture version of the bicycle girl. the could have made some trains take a dirt road....

Kudos to you for helping the kid out. I bet it was something he'll remember and hopefully learn for future use.... despite his slacker dad.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                  I thought you were going to talk about your poaching experiences in Colorado from the other thread.

But, well done! It’s amazing how distances so many people are now from manual labor.
                  +1

Comment

Heck, I’d just be glad kids are riding bikes. My old man couldn’t operate a screwdriver. Luckily, between my grandpa and a few old men in the neighborhood I learned some mechanical aptitude.

Comment

It was a good deed that you did for the young man!

What is happening in America? Simple things like this I guess I took for granted from the way I was brought up (49 now) that seem to be disappearing over time these days. We worked on all of our own stuff.

Bring out skinny jeans, starbucks, manbuns, safe spaces, cry closets, everyone gets a trophy, and poor little hurt feelings and look at what is happening in society.

All I can do is shake my head......

Great job again on helping out that kiddo for his dad.

Comment

When we were younger, there was an old man, Mr Dunn, that lived at the end of the block. Every kid in the neighborhood would go over there for quick bike repairs. Whether it be fixing a loose chain or simply adding air. He also had the steepest driveway in the neighborhood so we'd skateboard down it. Looking back, I'm sure he was frustrated with us occasionally but all the kids looked up to him and he seemed to enjoy showing us around his workshop. Last i heard he had severe lung cancer and was still smoking...

Good on you, GE for helping the kids out. Especially when dad can't. I can't wrap my head around that. I'd sooner purchase a cheap tool kit than ask a neighbor to assemble my own kids bike.

Comment

Kudos to you for helping Santa make some kids Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some guys are good at computer programming, some at mechanical stuff, some at math, some just lazy.... I'm sure the computer guys get tired of lazy guys asking them to help set up a computer or similar.

We gave our kids air compressors for their cars for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

A 12 pack and some crappie filets and we might have a deal!
                              Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Man I was so relieved to see that the "bicycle guy" was not a Goldeneagle picture version of the bicycle girl. the could have made some trains take a dirt road....

Kudos to you for helping the kid out. I bet it was something he'll remember and hopefully learn for future use.... despite his slacker dad.
                              Oh, y'all don't want to see me on a bike. His dad didn't really seem too bad. Nice guy that just isn't very mechanically inclined.
                              Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                              When we were younger, there was an old man, Mr Dunn, that lived at the end of the block. Every kid in the neighborhood would go over there for quick bike repairs. Whether it be fixing a loose chain or simply adding air. He also had the steepest driveway in the neighborhood so we'd skateboard down it. Looking back, I'm sure he was frustrated with us occasionally but all the kids looked up to him and he seemed to enjoy showing us around his workshop. Last i heard he had severe lung cancer and was still smoking...

Good on you, GE for helping the kids out. Especially when dad can't. I can't wrap my head around that. I'd sooner purchase a cheap tool kit than ask a neighbor to assemble my own kids bike.
                              Part of my retirement plan is to be "Mr. Dunn". I enjoy helping the kids out, plus it keeps them from wanting to paper my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X