X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathews Atlas

Anyone shooting one?

Thoughts or reviews?

I bought one about 4 months ago, I shot it for a while and put it up for sale then took it down and now I am really glad I kept it! It’s a great 3D bow, and it will see some time in the woods this season too.

Pros: it’s quiet, the most forgiving Mathews bow I’ve shot, the string angle is great for me. The draw cycle is about the same as my VXR 31.5 hunting bow, holds on target like a competition bow.

Cons: speed and weight(mass).

My arrow set ups and speeds:

29.5” DL at 68# DW

409 gr arrow at 28.5” 275 FPS

75# DW

550 gr arrow at 28.5” 256 FPS

Comment

Originally posted by HunterRoss View Post
      I bought one about 4 months ago, I shot it for a while and put it up for sale then took it down and now I am really glad I kept it! It’s a great 3D bow, and it will see some time in the woods this season too.

Pros: it’s quiet, the most forgiving Mathews bow I’ve shot, the string angle is great for me. The draw cycle is about the same as my VXR 31.5 hunting bow, holds on target like a competition bow.

Cons: speed and weight(mass).

My arrow set ups and speeds:

29.5” DL at 68# DW

409 gr arrow at 28.5” 275 FPS

75# DW

550 gr arrow at 28.5” 256 FPS

I am one of those long DL guys...matter of fact my go to over the years has been a q2xl due to the market not giving us us a “hunting” bow.

I love long brace height and know that will cause the loss of a few feet per sec.

My hang up has been the speed...I just thought that around the 31-32 inch draw it would be a bit faster. ( of course I am basing this off of reading reviews and videos)

Really think this will be my new bow.

Are you shooting the integrated rest? Thoughts on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
        I am one of those long DL guys...matter of fact my go to over the years has been a q2xl due to the market not giving us us a “hunting” bow.

I love long brace height and know that will cause the loss of a few feet per sec.

My hang up has been the speed...I just thought that around the 31-32 inch draw it would be a bit faster. ( of course I am basing this off of reading reviews and videos)

Really think this will be my new bow.

Are you shooting the integrated rest? Thoughts on it?

You’ll enjoy this bow!

I am using the integrated QAD rest and really like it. I have used one on my VXR for over a year and it has performed flawlessly and the micro tunabilty is great. I personally I think it’s worth the extra money.

Comment

I'm not educating anybody here but speed is so overrated these days IMO. I used to do it chasing big numbers with super light arrows just so I could hang my hat on it. I'm now shooting a Mathews Traverse. Not as long in the ATA or brace department as the Atlas but close and I love everything about it. With a 425 grain arrow, 61lbs, 29" draw, I'm at 280 per the CCR chrono. I shoot this bow all the time at my house since I'm hunting pigs in the offseason these days and and never do I look at my arrow flight or performance and say I wish I had more. The draw, the hold, the release, the accuracy (as long as I do my part) well overrides any want or need for an extra 20FPS. My videoing shows the arrow shooting darts so I'm happy. If it's what you like to shoot, and shoot comfortably, you'll shoot it better and accuracy overrides the Tazmanian devil He-man arrow flying through the air IMO. No longer a speed freak here. Getrdone!

Both of these arrows lodged in the opposite leg bone. Penetration was great through the goods.

Shot at .36

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcyMdnjUYo"]Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube[/ame]

Shot at 1:08

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWNKBlDc2s&t=16s"]Big Nappy Jr - 1/7/21 - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by Smart; 04-13-2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I'm not educating anybody here but speed is so overrated these days IMO. I used to do it chasing big numbers with super light arrows just so I could hang my hat on it. I'm now shooting a Mathews Traverse. Not as long in the ATA or brace department as the Atlas but close and I love everything about it. With a 425 grain arrow, 61lbs, 29" draw, I'm at 280 per the CCR chrono. I shoot this bow all the time at my house since I'm hunting pigs in the offseason these days and and never do I look at my arrow flight or performance and say I wish I had more. The draw, the hold, the release, the accuracy (as long as I do my part) well overrides any want or need for an extra 20FPS. My videoing shows the arrow shooting darts so I'm happy. If it's what you like to shoot, and shoot comfortably, you'll shoot it better and accuracy overrides the Tazmanian devil He-man arrow flying through the air IMO. No longer a speed freak here. Getrdone!

Both of these arrows lodged in the opposite leg bone. Penetration was great through the goods.

Shot at .36

Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube

Big Nappy Jr - 1/7/21 - YouTube

Well played sir!

I have held off changing my hunting set up for the exact reasons you listed (that doesn't mean no new bows lol, just cannot find it in me to change what kills)

The ATLAS is what I have been looking for in a bow, if anything, the long A 2A and reasonable brace height make it a more forgiving shooter.

That is what I want...and think you have just caused me to spend money...

Thanks for being...so...Smart

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
              Well played sir!

I have held off changing my hunting set up for the exact reasons you listed (that doesn't mean no new bows lol, just cannot find it in me to change what kills)

The ATLAS is what I have been looking for in a bow, if anything, the long A 2A and reasonable brace height make it a more forgiving shooter.

That is what I want...and think you have just caused me to spend money...

Thanks for being...so...Smart

LOL...I try!..

I had 9 years with my Elite Pulse shooting 308-310 at 60lbs and I couldn't justify changing either...until I shot the Traverse. Once I got over my hard headed ways, I realized the changes in technology were incredible. Fishndude knew what I liked and called me one day saying I finally have the bow in your specs that's going to make you get sell the Pulse. I figured I'd humor him and at least go shoot it and go visit the CCR guys. When I shot the Traverse I was like take my money! I shot several other bows that day but the Traverse was the clear winner for me. It just felt right. Glad he called me and glad I went to go shoot it. I imagine you will be doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Shot at .36

Bowhunting DFW area pigs 3-24-21 - YouTube

Big Nappy Jr - 1/7/21 - YouTube

So what you are saying is there is still hope for me after all.............. Lol

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                  So what you are saying is there is still hope for me after all.............. Lol

Rwc

Hahahahaha.....you can be average too like me, RWC... Although you are gonna have to stop killing all those big deer every year..

Comment

Working...
                  X