Antique gas heater to propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique gas heater to propane

Has anybody ever converted a antique space heater to run off of propane? I acquired a small hearthglo space heater and would like to run it off of a 10 or 20lb propane tank.

Sounds like a fun project

Comment

Converted many a Dearborn heater to LP, most of them only needed the orifice changed and were fine. One of them had to have the orifice drilled out and has been working for a long time like that. I’d contact LP sales/service company and see if they have an orifice that can be swapped in.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Propane jet will get you going.
          Did one a few years ago for my deer stand.

Comment

This chart should help. https://andersonforrester.com/conversion-chart/

Comment

Lonewolf do I need a regulator?
              Went to the local propane place and they told me it couldn't be do e but I know better. So I just need the orifice?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5CE76C71-B33F-4C55-B771-1302CA12DECB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	24637030
                Northwest propane in Lewisville Texas helped me with mine. Eastway Sales & Services in Houston will sell you the parts to convert it over. They sell a lot vintage heater parts.

Comment

How long would a heater run on a tank that size ?
                  Might be a good option for someone in a wall tent on a fire restriction year, one of those Dearborn heaters enclosed in metal cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    How long would a heater run on a tank that size ?
                    Might be a good option for someone in a wall tent on a fire restriction year, one of those Dearborn heaters enclosed in metal cabinet.
                    Just depends on how high I crank it. Usually go through a tank a week. Running about three 3-4 hours in the evening.

Comment

Guerrero88 that's the exact same heater I have is there away you can get me some pics? And is that a gas grill regulator?

Comment

Mine has a regulator off of a fish fryer. I can do a 5 gallon propane tank and last all hunting season easy.

Comment

I need to know what orifice I need or what I need to drill the original one out to.
                          I figure a regulator off a gas grill will work.

Comment

Originally posted by limbratgod333 View Post
                            Guerrero88 that's the exact same heater I have is there away you can get me some pics? And is that a gas grill regulator?
                            Will do. The regulator and hose I bought at northwest propane nothing special. They replaced the orfice for me and sold me a new valve. Eastway sales can walk you through it they can sell you a new valve and orfice. You’ll need a new valve. As for the hose and regulator you can pick up anywhere. Amazon has them as well. When you talk to the guy at Eastway he’s going to ask you about the info on the data plate. Click image for larger version

Name:	FC9A4360-2796-4257-86F8-7057DFBCA542.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	24637068 Click image for larger version

Name:	0F20F774-FAA6-42BD-BD0D-D4E098965564.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	24637069
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	32B6C268-7355-4EE6-9F23-CC19FC00A069.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	24637070

Comment

Originally posted by limbratgod333 View Post
                              I need to know what orifice I need or what I need to drill the original one out to.
                              I figure a regulator off a gas grill will work.
                              You won’t have to drill anything out. They screw in. The Guy at Eastway sales is pretty sharp. I’ve converted several of these. It’s really simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X