Hogs jumping into feed pens, East Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to my lease in San Jac county today and dumped 200 lbs of corn in each of my feed pens. They are circular in shape and made up of 4 panels that were cattle panels I cut in half, long ways which makes them 25 inches tall...I used plenty of tposts and doubled the wire to make them nice and tight. The hogs are able to jump the 25 inch panels like nothing.

You think if I run a strand of barb wire around the top of the T posts that will keep them from jumping in? If not I will need to wore another panel up higher on each existing panel.

I get to my first pen and its empty, I was thinking hogs right off, camera confirmed that. Did have one decent buck cruise by. The other feed pen didnt have any hog sign and had some corn left in it but the deer have found that one and using it. I've got a feeder within 50 yes if each if the feed pens too and usually have some decent bucks on camera. But these hogs are wearing me out son.

Pics are attached, you can see that big boar jumping out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_202058.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	25222657Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_202027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25222658Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_202112.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25222659

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LOL! Bub you got to go 36 inches or better. Even then no guarantees. Going tomorrow to put 10 hog panels around my Lamco. Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Youngblood; 08-27-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

All my pens are 25” and I have 1 pig on 1 property that will jump in daily. I just need the time to kill him

I think your gonna need 32” panels

Comment

Deer can jump a 5' fence with ease. Make your feed pen 3.5-4'.

Comment

Yeah man. Too short. 34” minimum. You can get them from tractor supply

Comment

You using 4 half panels? Or 4 panels cut in half ( 8 - 1/2 panels)?

Comment

We had the same problem and a strand or two of barbed wire at the top stopped them...somewhere around 36" tall.

Comment

That answered the question on splitting a cattle panel for a feeder pen.

Comment

I’ve never had a hog jump a 25” panel and I’m not stingy on the amount of corn I pour in them. Keep your jumping hogs in your part of the state.

Comment

I have a dozen pens that height. Had three or four hogs decide to jump in all that time. Killed them.

Comment

Your just teaching those hogs to jump! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        You using 4 half panels? Or 4 panels cut in half ( 8 - 1/2 panels)?
                        4 panels cut long way and that will make 2 pens 25 inches high. Hogs are only getting into one of the.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I have a dozen pens that height. Had three or four hogs decide to jump in all that time. Killed them.
                          I'm going to be killing everyone if they show when I'm there.

You think the barbed wire strand at top of the posts will work Garguy?

Comment

Our are built like that, we get a random boar that will jump and camp in them but it keeps the majority out. I also haven't been feeding this time of year which is when the hogs are probably the hungriest with everything so dry and acorns haven't started falling yet.

Comment

Here is the pen they are jumping.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_161357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	24628817

Comment

Working...
                              X