Hand Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Shock

Generally do you go up in brace height or down to reduce hand shock?

I don’t think the two correlate too much. I also don’t think any new top end bow on the market today has much hand shock to worry with. The carbon bows tend to have more than aluminum bows

Comment

It depends on a couple of things but I tend to go up. Generally run at the top end of recommended BHs.

Gary

Comment

Don’t alter the brace height as it can impact tuning. Move your string stop in or out. This can sometimes reduce the felt hand shock once it’s set just right.

Comment

Every bow has that sweet spot for brace height. This where the bow is at its quietest. This is also where the bow performs the best overall. Raising or lowering the brace from that spot will cause more vibration. Particularly in the lower end. If the bow is tuned and at its quietest and you have a lot of shock, it’s just bow design. Some folks feel the shock more. I never had that rattle your teeth sensation some talk about. Find that spot and tune your arrow from there. Also too light of an arrow will cause a lot of it even if it’s not a bow with a shocky design.
          Last edited by KenWood; 05-22-2020, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Like DRT said generally raising brace will lower shock. And like Ken said too light arrows will cause it.

So what bow are you shooting, what brace height is is set at and what is the draw weight at your draw, and what do your arrows weigh?

Comment

I'd guess he's shooting a Sarrells blue ridge sr.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                Don’t alter the brace height as it can impact tuning. Move your string stop in or out. This can sometimes reduce the felt hand shock once it’s set just right.
                This is the trad forum, so I'm guessing there's no string stop on his bow.

OP, the best bet for fixing handshock is probably going to be heavier arrows, assuming your current setup is tuned well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                  This is the trad forum, so I'm guessing there's no string stop on his bow.

OP, the best bet for fixing handshock is probably going to be heavier arrows, assuming your current setup is tuned well.

You are correct sir. My sincerest apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad that's clarified ^^^; I was wondering what a string stop was and if I should look into getting one.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Beaver balls 9 “ from string nocks on long bows. Get a AW selfbow they don’t have shock. Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                        Beaver balls 9 “ from string nocks on long bows. Get a AW selfbow they don’t have shock. Arvin
                        [emoji106][emoji1]

Gary

Comment

I think up in brace height provided you are within the builders recommended range.
                          It is amazing how they will tame down when you get the bh right.

Comment

It depends on where you are now but I agree with others that I tend to have better results in the upper end than in the lower end. Just play with it until you find the sweet spot and then write that down. It will change your tune too so be ready to retune

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              It depends on a couple of things but I tend to go up. Generally run at the top end of recommended BHs.

Gary
                              This^^

But there are lots of things that can contribute to hand shock. Preload or lack thereof, Tiller, Bh, type of string, strand count, placement of silencers, or lack thereof, nock height to high or to low pulling the bow out of tiller, to name a few.

But to answer your question “usually “ the upper end of recommended Bh is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X