2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.
    I did a 3 month test with that stuff back when I originally started heading toward the organic route. It did not work for me at all...in fact the ants seemed to begin using the diatomaceous to fortifie and strengthen their mounds after a while.
    That was my sole personal experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
      I use their double wheel hoe and it works great. My big garden is on drip and fertilizer injection which has helped tremendously in our sandy soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m considering getting the double wheel hoe. I’ve got the drip system and also want to get the fertilizer injection kit, I’m also in a sandy type soil.

What attachment do you use the most on the wheel hoe?

Comment

The plow set to make furrows and cover then sweeps to weed with. I don’t have much use for the cultivator teeth with our soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
          Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.

Take a pot of boiling water and dump on the nest slowly. Usually gets the point across and doesn’t leave any chemicals behind.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            I follow the “dirt doctor’s” advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

Natural Organic Gardening and Living information, advice and recommendations.

Howard Garrett is a hippie. Check out Neil Sperry. His Lone Star Gardening book is a must have.

Neil Sperry's name has been synonymous with Texas Gardening since 1970. See, hear and read his accurate, practical and honest advice via web, radio and more!

Comment

All I have time/space for are raised beds and pots. Maters coming along with buds on them. Okra and peas starting to pop up out of the soil.

My first time trying potatoes. I cut up a couple store potatoes from the bag with eyes and planted them in one bed in Feb. I have hilled them 2-3 times already. They keep poking up through the top after a few days. Do I keep covering them regularly or let them go?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                All I have time/space for are raised beds and pots. Maters coming along with buds on them. Okra and peas starting to pop up out of the soil.

My first time trying potatoes. I cut up a couple store potatoes from the bag with eyes and planted them in one bed in Feb. I have hilled them 2-3 times already. They keep poking up through the top after a few days. Do I keep covering them regularly or let them go?

Let the plant grow once it’s 10” y’all hill it again. You need foliage to grow the potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  Let the plant grow once it’s 10” y’all hill it again. You need foliage to grow the potatoes.

Got it, Thank you sir

Comment

Don’t over think taters. They are easy as long as they don’t have to much water and rot.

Comment

I have a rather large garden and wondering what folks are using to make rows with behind a tractor. I have looked at the bedder attachment online but have never used one. Any certain brand etc anyone had experience with? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.

This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.

I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...

[ATTACH]1043759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1043758[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1043757[/ATTACH]

As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!
                        Perfect this is what I need to take the prepping work out of gardening.

Comment

Now hopefully i can plant mine and sell all the others...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, nice setup. Looks very well done.

Comment

Been working 7-12’s on our outage and being on days, don’t have time to work mine. But, we get a rest day every 14th day, so I was able to get the rest of the garden rowed up and got some purple hull peas planted and watermelon. Wife is going to have to get me all my tomatoes and pepper plants. Still have to plant some cream peas and another variety of purple hull peas. I like to stager my peas, that way they all don’t come in at the same time. Sweet corn and snap beans are up.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	9007B804-4490-4418-BE3B-8214D572DAD5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	24648795

Comment

Don’t know why pic went sideways!!
                                Let me try another one.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	0AA81525-14F6-44BA-9D26-9514473451A9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	210.0 KB