No announcement yet.

Lag in Construction after a recession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial big box retail, warehouse and general TI work seem to still be strong in Houston. Education and multifamily as well. Lots of ITBs going out daily. Part of me thinks the election will have a strong effect but the other part thinks it’ll be just like Covid. Uneasy for a month and then back to the races.

My bs opinion is however it turns out, people aren’t going to quit moving here or wanting to buy more stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In Houston for us commercial is painfully slow. One round of lay-offs, and some premature retirements. We do work for most of the large GC's in town and they are all worried about midway through 2021, some of our TI guys have next to nothing lined up.

Comment

DFW area residential is booming. Commercial work is there, but most of it is on hold. COVID and the election are to blame. We just picked up a couple weeks ago. August/september was tough. Lots of Commercial jobs were delayed.

Comment

Yes, lots of the commercial projects seem to be postponed/re-bid/addendum's out the ***, etc. We are one of the bigger commercial drywall outfits in the Austin area, and the bidding has picked up the past month or so, but "quick hitting" TI work or smaller private work just ain't there like it used to be.

Comment

We are a DFW commercial framing and drywall firm. We got lucky with alot of wins right before Covid. Bidding has slowdown some for sure. We shifted to more public work and dropped margins some. The one good outcome for my industry is wood framed structures now being VE to metal due to lumber prices.

Comment

I'm thankful that k-12 construction hasn't missed a beat.

Comment

Aggregates are still going full speed. Lots of big commercial jobs going in Austin area and housing is keeping the 1” rock going out the gate.

Comment

I am a partner in a MEP engineering firm in Dallas. We are having one of our better years in 33 years of business, and our bookings for this fall/winter are through the roof, and our backlog is dang high. We work in just about every market other than k-12, tenant finish and retail/developer. Those markets have been hit hardest.

All that said, I would expect lots of projects to hit the street for bidding just after the first of the year.

Comment

It is crazy out here in East Texas at Lake Fork. People are fleeing the Metro areas for the good life. I've never seen anything like it in 25 years here.

Comment

Man sounds like things are very strong despite pandemic & leading into election chaos. Wonder how things will go post election

Comment

In residential in dfw and we haven’t skipped and beat, may even got busier when covid hit more people work from home and want to work on their houses

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
                          I'm thankful that k-12 construction hasn't missed a beat.
                          I ran K-12 work from 2001 till 2018. Man....I don't miss it.... especially summer remodels. #retired

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            I ran K-12 work from 2001 till 2018. Man....I don't miss it.... especially summer remodels. #retired

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s tough I agree, been at it since 2010. But it’s steady nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope not. We are seeing a lag in healthcare construction, but that's tied to Covid.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                                Man sounds like things are very strong despite pandemic & leading into election chaos. Wonder how things will go post election

That is the million dollar question right now. Waco area construction, residential and small commercial are crazy right now.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X