Lightning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning...

Yesterday I was out scouting and looking at some possible stand locations for next season. There was one particular spot that was on a small hill covered in small oak trees with one nice mature tree back out of the way with a great view of the hill side and a nice trail and scrape line from this year. Yesterday was a light rain all day and when I went to the truck and gathered my climbing sticks and stand I came back to the area and found the tree was split in half and smoldering. Its had been struck by lightning just in the 20 or 30 mins I had been gone back to the truck. I have never ever thought of this scenario and it now has my attention. Has anyone ever experienced lightning strikes while hunting? I never even noticed any lightning or thunder at all yesterday. I just think about what if I had been hanging the stand or sitting in that tree when it was struck... just something to think about I guess. It definitely got my attention.

Gods way of telling you that was the wrong set up. When it comes to lighting you aren’t any safer at the base of a tree vs 20 ft up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That certainly would end a good hunt. Certainly gets you thinking. I will hunt in a light rain but if lightning fires up. I’m gone ......

Comment

Wow - fortunate timing! I've never had a close call but lightning in the area has caused me to abandon a tripod mid-hunt a few times. You feel very vulnerable sitting up there.

Comment

Talk about lucky timing on your part.

A good friend of mine has a stand called the 'lightning tree' that is an oak that has been hit. Should be safe though, lightning never hits the same spot twice...

Comment

I try to not hunt when thunderstorms are predicted. Have been caught out there and high-tailed it to the truck

Comment

Not hunting but sitting in my la z boy at my house. I ve been 20 yards from a strike that hit a 65 ft tall pine tree. It hit the top of the tree, split the bark all the way to the base went into the ground ran under the ground out about 6ft and blew a 2 ft hole up out of the ground. You will feel the heat, your hair will stand up then when its to late you will hear it. Then you will replace your under wear!
              I would say if your sitting in a metal ladder stand or climber you would be toast.

Comment

I HATE lightning. First sign of it and I’m gone. Been stuck on a tractor in too many fields when a storm blew in, on the bay where there’s no where to hide. Worse time was in a rice field goose hunting when a norther blew in with nonstop lightning popping all around. I didn’t know whether to stay put sucked to the ground or make a run for the truck. It’s like when people say, you have better chance of being struck by lightning the getting bit by a shark. I think my chances of a shark bite are too good.

Comment

Very strange that you didn't hear that especially being that close to the action..
                  I've never heard of silent lightning strikes..

Comment

I've was in the truck when it got struck, plus 30 yrs of restarting oil wells after thunderstorms I've seen a lot of aftermath scenes, lightning scares the heck out of me. When I hear thunder or storms are nearby, I hunt from the truck or stay at the house, no need in going if I can't enjoy the go!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      I HATE lightning. First sign of it and I’m gone. Been stuck on a tractor in too many fields when a storm blew in, on the bay where there’s no where to hide. Worse time was in a rice field goose hunting when a norther blew in with nonstop lightning popping all around. I didn’t know whether to stay put sucked to the ground or make a run for the truck. It’s like when people say, you have better chance of being struck by lightning the getting bit by a shark. I think my chances of a shark bite are too good.
                      Need to add an r to your name.

Comment

I saw a metal light pole et struck as I was driving by it, saw plenty of trees in CO that were struck during a lightning snow storm, BUT the closest was my neighbors 75' tall cottonwood tree in there backyard got hit while I was in my house next door. I thought a plane had crashed or a house had exploded. When I went outside in the front you could smell the after effects of the strike. Lots of leaves and bark floating and lots of debris everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                          Gods way of telling you that was the wrong set up. When it comes to lighting you aren’t any safer at the base of a tree vs 20 ft up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          If a person were up in a tree 20ft and it was hit by lightning, would it pass right through and not hurt you? Guess I never thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                            Talk about lucky timing on your part.

A good friend of mine has a stand called the 'lightning tree' that is an oak that has been hit. Should be safe though, lightning never hits the same spot twice...
                            ...except when it does!

I do NOT mess with lightning, its scary stuff.

Comment

I've been 50 yards from a strike. It hit an oak tree on the fence line that shot fire and sparks in all directions. Burned the top two strands of barbed wire into. Scared me pretty good. This was 5 minutes after I got home from getting stuck in a lightning/hail storm on Deer Island on Lake Somerville!

Comment

Working...
                              X