Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trailer buyer. What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time trailer buyer. What to look for?

I just bought a new one at the end of last year. 16' tandem pipe with folding gate. $3500.

Pipe diameter, type of gate, axles, jack, flooring, led tail lights AND running lights, are a few of the things that can affect price

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      I just bought a new one at the end of last year. 16' tandem pipe with folding gate. $3500.

Pipe diameter, type of gate, axles, jack, flooring, led tail lights AND running lights, are a few of the things that can affect price

I like it!

Where did you purchase it from sir?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        I like it!

Where did you purchase it from sir?
        I ordered it through STOP Equipment on 1488, but it is a C-5 trailer out of Ennis, TX I believe

Comment

I traded a smaller single axle with some cash a few years ago. I got a heavy double axle, full diamond plated metal floor trailer which is great. Never will have to replace the floor. It pulls really well.

The down side was it is a trailer made for a tractor. The tail gate/ ramps are HEAVY duty! It opens in either one or two sections. I am getting to old to let it down and lift both at one time(wuss). Probably gonna look at selling it soon because of that issue. It's the only thing I have bought in my life that when buying it I thought, this is to big for what I needed it for.

My advice to you would be go with either a bi-fold gate (like above) or one that has a spring on it for sure. Also, I would go with a heavy duty jack as well.

Comment

Appreciate all the information guys!

Comment

Bearing Buddies?

Comment

Brakes. Solid floor

Comment

For me I look at the axles. I have pulled trailers all of my life and for a small 16 foot trailer I see no needs for brakes but I always drive a 3/4 ton truck as well. After that it is just about what you like and what you are willing to pay for. As far as a homemade trailer I live in Van Zandt county and none of my trailers have a title. They never have. No need for one around here currently. I would say 75% of all of the trailers here have no title.

-john

Comment

Make sure you get trailer brakes. It makes life easy when hauling a tractor or a heavy load.
                    I ordered mine to fit in a normal depth garage. Sometimes you want the load secure and the only way to do it would be enclosed in a garage. Also, some neighborhood frown down on trailers.

Comment

Minimum things I'd want in a "light/medium duty" trailer; American made tires, concealed wiring, protected LED lighting, treated floor, Bulldog hitch, stake pockets, spare tire/wheel, ramps

Comment

If pulling a utv get a drop down ramp. Also look at what you are using to pull it. If using a 1/3 ton don’t get a trailer made to haul tractors and heavy equipment. Many of the big names sell the same trailer that is made in bulk out of one shop. They just put different names on it.

Comment

A F150 will be hauling the trailer and planning on getting a can-am defender max or Kawasaki mule in the next few months if that helps with any info.

Once again appreciate all the input guys as it helps a lot!

Comment

I need one too!

Comment

I'd pay the extra coin and get heavy gauge, diamond plate fenders.

Comment

bulldog hitch is the most important starting point.

Comment

Working...
                                X