Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need electrical advice for christmas lights on a gate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need electrical advice for christmas lights on a gate.

Ive got a co worker that installed some christmas lights on a gate. There is no electricity on or near the gate, so he put a deep cell battery out there with an inverter. He has a timer plugged into the inverter then to the christmas lights. The problem is the inverter has a fan that stays on and it drains the battery. Is there a way to put the timer before the inverter so that it only comes on when in use and not drain the battery? Any help would be appreciated.

He can try a solar panel controller if he’s got a solar panel. A lot of them can turn something on when the controller senese the sun has set. Ofherwise, probably better off investing in 12v lights.

Comment

They make a 12 volt timer, you used to see them in the oilfield all of the time. A quick google search showed they make a programmable one for chicken coops.

Comment

I just bought solar powered XMas lights for my gate. They come on at dark, and last longer that I ever stay up, so I’m good with that!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I just bought solar powered XMas lights for my gate. They come on at dark, and last longer that I ever stay up, so I’m good with that!!

Bisch

yep

Comment

Bisch

Where did you get them at?

Comment

Can’t remember what store we were in when she found them??

This is what we got:

Bisch

Comment

Bisch

This is the best solution, however, a 12 volt feeder timer to turn the inverter on/off would work also.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                  This is the best solution, however, a 12 volt feeder timer to turn the inverter on/off would work also.
                  I don’t understand how a 12v feeder timer would work for this? It would turn on the inverter when it turns on, but it is going to turn it off when the feed time (30 seconds max??) finishes

Comment

Comment

Get a string of 12v led lights, they will use way less power than an inverter. Then get a 12 v dusk to dawn sensor (like one below) and u are in business. Add a solar panel and the setup will last all season

Comment

Amazon sells a ton of solar powered light strings.

We are putting ours up this weekend.

Comment

Can’t remember what store we were in when she found them??

This is what we got:

Bisch

Looks like she got them at Walmart for $13 it’s cheaper than buying the photocells .

Comment

Perfect! Thanks fellas

Comment

Working...
                            X