Brakes for Ford Super Duty Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes for Ford Super Duty Owners

I didnt realize how wore out my brakes were on my 08 F250 Powerstroke till I recently drove my buddies 2016. I have 150k on my truck now but I still had plenty of pad life. I decided to change everything out anyway due to the miles anyway.

I went with the Power Stop Z36 brake kit that came with drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic/carbon brake pads for all four corners. I also got the Crown performance stainless steel brakes lines and finished it off with Throttle Muscle Extreme synthetic brake fluid.

All I can say is wow. My truck now brakes like my wife's Escape that is half the weight. I didnt realize how spongy the pedal had become which was probably due to the brake fluid being so old and probably had some moisture in it.

I can not say enough good things about the Power Stop brake kit. The fit and finish was perfect. It came with new caliper clips and lube as well. Very easy install however pneumatic tools came in very handy with getting the caliper bolts off. The kit on amazon for my truck was about $480. Older trucks they are a little cheaper, not sure about 11+ though. I had the kit delivered to me in three days which was really nice.

Not sure if the SS brake lines helped or not but it is one less thing to worry about and in theory they should help with the fade and spongyness. They were $165 from Crown Performance direct. One nice thing is that you can order them to fit the amount of lift you have also. I ordered them on a Sunday and had them on Friday. Install was very easy.

I would bet that any synthetic brake fluid would work just as good as the fluid I got. I just got it because it was reasonably priced on Amazon and they sold it in a gallon jug instead of by the quart.

I wish Inwould have done this 75k miles ago but I never messed with it because I thought I was good due to how much material I still had on my pads. I would suggest it to any Super Duty owner that is around 100k that is planning on keeping their truck a few more years.

All together I got about $680 into it and an afternoons worth of my time. The brake lines were not necessary so it can be done for right at $500 and if you get the cheaper Prestone synthetic brake fluid. I can not be happier with the way the truck stops now.

Picture of the rotor on the truck.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have the same brand brakes on my little work car. Slotted drilled rotors, and same pad material.

Big improvement over the worn factory brakes and have held up good so far. Although I have only had them on 6 months or so. So far so good

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
          I have the same brand brakes on my little work car. Slotted drilled rotors, and same pad material.

Big improvement over the worn factory brakes and have held up good so far. Although I have only had them on 6 months or so. So far so good
          What had me sold on the Power Stop kit was one comment on Amazon and one on a Ford Forum. Both were from folks that claimed to own a shop that does a bunch of brakes and had installed several of the "one click brake kit" packages. Both said that they were very impressed with the kit and it is what they run on their personal cars.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I will be looking at this option on my next set of brakes.

Comment

I also adhered strictly to their pad break in procedure. I. My research the consensus said it was important to do correctly for performance and long life with no noise with that pad material they use

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                I also adhered strictly to their pad break in procedure. I. My research the consensus said it was important to do correctly for performance and long life with no noise with that pad material they use
                Funny you posted this. I was thinking this afternoon that I needed to tell everyone to make sure you properly break them in. The only complaint I have about the whole kit was that there were zero instructions. The install was straight forward and there are plenty of YouTube videos. However i found it surprising that there was nothing telling you how to break them in. Power Stop has a video on how to do it. Apparently there is a break in coating on the pads that you have to get super hot to get everything set.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                  Thanks for sharing this. I will be looking at this option on my next set of brakes.
                  No problem. I hope it helps others out.

Here is the way I look at it, I try to do all my maintenance myself so I can spend the saved labor money on upgrading the parts. I like to come away from spending money feeling like I got something better than what I already have. This is why I hate buying tires........... I just spent a bunch of money just to get me back to the same spot I was already at.

If anything I would suggest that anyone with any vehicle that has over 50k miles on it that they bleed all the old brake fluid out of the system and replace it with synthetic fluid. A gallon of Preatone synthetic is 26 bucks.

Comment

I put them on my F150 6 months ago. I highly recommend.

Comment

I just took the power stop one click set off my 2015 f150 last week. I went through two sets of front pads in 4 months. You could literally see the brake dust on my rims from a 30 minute commute in traffic. The slots in the rotors were worn down too. I worked with them and they gave up and did a partial refund. I still have the rear set in the box that I’ll make someone a great deal on.

I replaced them with a Wilwood 6 piston full caliper set. Much better stopping and no fade.

Comment

Dang. That is crazy. Did you get the z36 tow kit or the other "performance" kit they had?
                        Last edited by Fordnandez; 12-10-2018, 09:54 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Yes. The Z36 kit. I got the front and rear but only installed the front.

Comment

If anyone in the Austin area needs a set of stock rotors let me know. Mine had 150k on them but I am confident that they are not warped and they never have been turned so they should be turnable. I also believe people use they for bases for signs and what not. Free for anyone in the area.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I have in now. You can still see the dust on the rim from the old ones. I haven’t run through the car wash yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X