On call Christmas with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Missed several Christmas morns over the years due to work. Kids are grown now so not such a factor. But it definitely sucks. There are ways to make it up if you aren't there. Be creative (santa gifts in the morning, mom/dad gifts later when you get home).
    That's how my sister and BIL do it. Every year he covers Christmas morning so his guys can be at home with their families. He usually gets back around 12-1. Their boys still get up and get to have the excitement of the Santa gift and they make a big breakfast and the kids play with their new toy and usually he's home by then. Once everyone is there they open the wrapped gifts

Comment

Haven't had a Christmas off in 9 years. Now that I have a 3 year old, she usually stays with family or my sister watches her if she comes to town.

Comment

Surprised to see so many "Christmas goes on without you" posts.

Santa is real for a few years. Memories together are forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

We have always worked around it. My wife has always been good about making them see that presents will still be there when I get home or just getting it done early. If kids still believe in Santa they’ll still believe other stories to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            Surprised to see so many "Christmas goes on without you" posts.

Santa is real for a few years. Memories together are forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            “Most” of those haven’t had to miss many I would guess. If it’s fairly common you figure out a way to make it work

Comment

Not sure how old your kids are, but this is how my family worked it when I was a kid and my dad was a shift worker.

The older guys and those without kids would cover the Christmas morning shift. When we got older, if dad worked Christmas morning, we would open everything on Christmas eve.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chew;13851463]Missed several Christmas morns over the years due to work. Kids are grown now so not such a factor. But it definitely sucks. There are ways to make it up if you aren't there. Be creative (santa gifts in the morning, mom/dad gifts later when you get home).[/QUOTE]

I work an operational job but have been lucky to not miss a planned Christmas. But this was our plan when the children were young.

Comment

Ill be at the fire station for a 24 hour shift. This year we work Thanksgiving day, Christmas Day and New Years Eve. We just always work around our shift schedule. Now that my son is grown I come in early so the younger guys with kids can get home early to see the kids wake up. Just passing it on. It was done for me so I am passing it forward.

Comment

Just let them go ahead and ask enjoy it when you get home. Been there many times in my career. Now I take on call for holidays as my kids are teenagers

Comment

Call-Outs

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Missed several Christmas morns over the years due to work. Kids are grown now so not such a factor. But it definitely sucks. There are ways to make it up if you aren't there. Be creative (santa gifts in the morning, mom/dad gifts later when you get home).
                      I'm with Chew. For 30-years, was on call at times, and thank goodness during that time, I think I was actually called out twice Christmas Eve, but made it home before they woke up. Other holidays, wasn't quite so lucky.

Comment

I’ve been off maybe one Christmas in 8 years of shift work. I worked thanksgiving this year and will work Christmas. I get off at 7pm Christmas Day but I’m 8 hours from home....

Sucks. But it provides a nice living for my family and lots of time off usually to spend time together. I’m not sure what I’d do with a Monday through Friday 9-5 job. Go crazy I bet.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Me and my wife have decided that if I get called out around 5-6am we will just wake the kids up early before I go. But if I have to leave earlier in the night than that and haven't made it home when they wake up, she is going to Face Time me while they see what Santa brought. We will do all the personal gifts once I get home.
                            This is all worst case scenario, best case scenario I am home when they wake up.

Comment

Worked shift work the entire time my kids were growing up so we had to deal with it.Found that Santa stuff in their stockings would hold them over till I got home for gifts.
                              Kids are grown now but this still works well for the grandkids while waiting on our kids to roll out.

Comment

Heck my wife came to the PD one night and we had our gift exchange there. My wife got something for the dispatcher as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X